Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Match Drilling and Tapping Holes

Thanks
    Thanked 2,766 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Match Drilling and Tapping Holes

When you must drill two or more holes to attach two parts together, the alignment of the first hole is easy. Getting the second hole to align can be difficult if you want close-fitting clearance holes. It only gets worse from there. The problem is solved by using the procedure illustrated in this article.

If you are interested, please see

https://rick.sparber.org/MatchDrillingTappingHoles.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Altair (Apr 20, 2020), baja (Apr 22, 2020), BrianW (Apr 21, 2020), DIYSwede (Apr 27, 2020), Jon (Apr 23, 2020), Okapi (Apr 22, 2020), Paul Jones (Apr 20, 2020), Rangi (Apr 21, 2020), Seedtick (Apr 21, 2020), Sleykin (Jun 13, 2023), Tule (Apr 22, 2020)

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    Rick, you present some interesting techniques there, but it seems like a lot of trouble to avoid just throwing the parts in a mill-drill and using the handwheel scale (or DRO) to simply locate the two holes the same distance apart. No need to even scribe the locations, although I probably would just as a reality check.

And as for the set screw trick, that would work but it would need to be replaced every time the bolt holding the two parts was loosened. Perhaps that will not ever happen, but there is an easier way to maintain alignment. Just drill a small hole through both of them while they are aligned and then install a spring pin. Two spring pins, one on each side of the bolt would maintain complete alignment. And drilling the two holes is a lot faster and easier than tapping the one. This is an age old technique that probably predates even the advent of the roll pins.

Oh, and the roll pins are a lot better way to align all of the assemblies. With them the holes and bolts holding the two pieces together can be done with more clearance so they would go faster. Pins for alignment and bolts to fasten them together. Each has it's own job.

2000 Tool Plans
    Paul A.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,766 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    Rick, you present some interesting techniques there, but it seems like a lot of trouble to avoid just throwing the parts in a mill-drill and using the handwheel scale (or DRO) to simply locate the two holes the same distance apart. No need to even scribe the locations, although I probably would just as a reality check.

And as for the set screw trick, that would work but it would need to be replaced every time the bolt holding the two parts was loosened. Perhaps that will not ever happen, but there is an easier way to maintain alignment. Just drill a small hole through both of them while they are aligned and then install a spring pin. Two spring pins, one on each side of the bolt would maintain complete alignment. And drilling the two holes is a lot faster and easier than tapping the one. This is an age old technique that probably predates even the advent of the roll pins.

Oh, and the roll pins are a lot better way to align all of the assemblies. With them the holes and bolts holding the two pieces together can be done with more clearance so they would go faster. Pins for alignment and bolts to fasten them together. Each has it's own job.
    Paul,

My goal was to explain how to match drill. It is not a universally known procedure.

Although I do own a mill/drill, many people do not. It would be interesting to learn what the members of homemadetools.net have in their shops.

I admit that match drilling for screws might be overkill because you can always go with a larger clearance hole. But if I was going to install dowel pins, I am positive my skill is not good enough for the alignment needed by independently drilling and reaming the holes.

You may have noticed that I did take the assembly apart to take the picture and then reassembled it. Didn't have any trouble screwing in that setscrew the second time.

I did look through my parts bin for a short roll pin but had none. Going to the hardware store is not an option so I went with what I had - a short set screw. I wasn't going for alignment, I just didn't want the block to turn. There wasn't much material around that screw for flanking 1/8 inch holes. Remember, I had two set screws going horizontal through that block.

Rick
    Rick

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    -Thanks for yet another well-written document, Rick!

The neat magnet trick for hands-free horizontal alignment of your work with the vise jaws particularly caught my eyes, so simple and yet operative!
    Finally a use for some Microwave Magnetron 3" donut magnets I've had in the shop for a coupla years.
    Just gotta check them on the surface plate for flatness first.

"Dang- why haven't I ever thought of THAT!"

Cheers, Johan

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks rgsparber! We've added your Match Drilling and Tapping Method to our Fastening category,
    as well as to your builder page: rgsparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information