Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 33 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Metric vs. other measurement systems - chart

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    A handy relation to remember is that light travels about a foot in a nanosecond.
    Here's a bunch in the Smithsonian Collection. Grace Hopper used to hand them out at her talks...

https://americanhistory.si.edu/colle...ct/nmah_692464

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    This actually explains a great deal about why my Son cannot understand fractions . . . Of all the things we should have embraced - the Metric system - should have been one of the most important - but no......

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    so thats how you figure metrick into inches... so... what about the female math& measurements??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick79 View Post
    This actually explains a great deal about why my Son cannot understand fractions . . . Of all the things we should have embraced - the Metric system - should have been one of the most important - but no......
    Actually the imperial system is one of the best ways to learn about fractions, UNLESS you have a teacher with a lack of understand of both measurement and fractions.

With the metric system you seldom use fractions since it is all decimal based.

What we really should have embraced is actual learning for understanding, not learning to regurgitate for a test, then forget about. It makes no difference if it is math, science, social studies, etc, you have to really learn it for it to stay with you.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

marksbug (May 13, 2021), Toolmaker51 (May 13, 2021)

Thanks
    yup, my math teachers were ****. and my ****ing dad with his knots & other **** just made it worse. I figured it out on my own. my senior year in HS I got suspended quite a few times by the math teacher...he was pissed that I knew more than he did....what a useless effing moron. he was some sorta coach that had to also teach math....he keep goi9ng to school to get more pay....but was totaly useless for any thing. ended up principle at one of my kids middle school...even the teachers were laughing at him . he did nothing all day long but collect a big pay check and look stupid. he then ran for school board...and yup he got it. those useless deplomas from the fly by knight schools are good for something...good for screweing over the people that really work and know what they are doing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I hear you Mark. I worked with some of those people. MANY teachers are good, creative and committed to helping kids learn. Others are just in it for the money and summers off. TOO MANY times, those bad teachers do not like it in the classroom, so they become administrators.

It is bad, and getting worse. I have to say there are still more good teachers, than there are bad ones. A real issue is that one bad teacher can undo many years of ground work done by the good teachers.

Sorry for your bad experience. I really did love teaching. I still bump into former students who say, "Hi do you remember me".

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

marksbug (May 13, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Wow, I just waded through 26 pages of this thread before I got bored (not punched or reamed). I agree the question of metickery is contentious, and my two hap'th are these,first I use what ever measurement is closest to what I want when I'm working with wood. Because I was dragged up using imperial measure, I use thou's for anything more accurate, half an apple is still 1/2 an apple (one of two) freight still use that system (crate 5 of 20).
    There is one bone of contention however with imperial measure (feet and inches), you never got the "magic 100 mm error". How this works is measure out to 1500mm, then BACK 60mm to get 1560, yeh I know, crazy, but it happens, probably because you can readily SEE the 60 close to where you're already measuring, resulting in a 100 mm error, with feet, that would be so far out that you notice it.
    I'mm OFF now!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to old kodger For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 13, 2021)

Thanks
    yes there are many good teachers still out there, fortunately for me, being a airforce brat I get to move around a lot, and see & live in parts of asia, okinawa as a young teenager was awesome. I did get to choose the best of everywhere I had been , it was the last place we lived when dad retired and he left home...for a few years working for lockheed cheif of training in saudi .and I chose to stay hear to live,buy a home, race,start a family and raise my kids. and even better the teachers my kids had were totally awesome. 1 daughter a DR,(also married to DR) and the other a US state dept diplomat over seas now. I did have a few good teachers but I had more usleess ones than good ones. ( the DOD school,s on okinawa were pretty good,public not so good, only a few teachers that gave a ****.) but parenting also has a lot to do with it also....probably50- 80 %. depending on the teachers and situations. if you dont give a **** about your kid that probably wont either.....

Thanks

hotdog0627's Tools
    Give me two orders of whatever he was drinkin' please... I'm trying to solve a problem....

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,544 Times in 11,260 Posts

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (May 28, 2021), Little Rabbit (May 28, 2021), marksbug (May 29, 2021), mklotz (May 29, 2021), nova_robotics (May 28, 2021), Tonyg (Jun 1, 2021), Toolmaker51 (May 28, 2021), volodar (May 30, 2021)

Thread Information