Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Mini bench block ring saver

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Mini bench block ring saver

I often neglect to remove my class ring when working in the shop. A partial excuse for this is the fact that I don't have a safe place to put it. On the workbench surface it's subject to being swept onto the concrete floor or having some heavy tool dropped on it.

The obvious solution is a ring saver for the shop. Now, I had built a ring saver for my daughter...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/f...ingsaver-48286

but it was just a bit too frou-frou for the masculine environment of the Garaj Mahal. I needed a design that fit into the environment.

While sitting at my workbench, I toyed with my bench block...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/b...ncements-44673

when it occurred to me. If I were to build a miniature version of the bench block, I could put the ring under the block in the cavity that such blocks have to catch pins driven out through the holes. The block would shield the ring from dropped objects and, if made of aluminum, would not scratch the ring. (The fact that I just happened to have some aluminum of exactly the right size didn't affect this decision at all :-).

This picture shows the original block with the half-sized aluminum miniature and the ring...

The holes, and V-groove are to scale. I even gave it a miniature version of the removable, sacrificial brass mini-anvil used when a softer backing is required.

This picture...

shows how the ring nestles into the space inside the mini-block.

Eventually, I'll make a base for it. I'm vacillating between a scaled down workbench top and a look-alike surface plate made from one of those counter-top samples that the big box stores give away so you can see how it would look in your kitchen.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

gunsgt1863 (Jul 18, 2018), Jon (Jul 20, 2018), Paul Jones (Jul 20, 2018), Seedtick (Jul 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Can't view your pictures

I lost 1 of my class rings down a 6000 ft well another nearly took my finger off so I haven't worn a ring or wrist watch in 30 years
    First wife bought me some gaudy huge cluster diamond ring for an anniversary, traded it to a divorce lawyer a year later to keep her from getting everything. Paid her credit cards off and cut them up I came out ahead for once.
    the only piece of jewelry I own is a fraternity belt buckle.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Pics are loading correctly for me.

Just drawing more attention to this build. As a ring saver, it's a perfectly reasonable tool, though not exactly Earth-shattering.

What's especially notable is the fact that this tool is designed as a miniature of another tool that is both more aesthetically pleasing, and more tool-like (I am assuming that bench block defeats ring saver in a battle of tool-ness).

Not sure what this self-referential design concept is technically called, but it reminded me of the wrench-as-bottle-opener. This guy:

I actually own one of these; not sure when I got it, maybe an old gift. It sits in a kitchen tools drawer with a bunch of other bottle openers. They all work just fine. But when I rifle around in the drawer to grab a bottle opener, I always select this one. Not sure why.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I'll admit that the ring saver is not super "tooly". However, I had hoped that a few people would chime in with their homemade examples of other non-tool items that mimic the appearance of real tools.

A recent episode of the (British version) Antiques Roadshow had a beautiful example of a miniature railroad signal lamp on a tiny stanchion. Pulling the stanchion base extended a mechanical pencil. The lamp itself had rotating red and green filters that actually worked. Done all in silver, the appraised value was 3000 GBP.

In the Edwardian era letter openers done as detailed miniature cavalry sabers were popular. Miniature anvils as paperweights have been around for a long time. I have a small plastic desk box for paperclips, thumbtacks, etc. done as a miniature rolling tool cabinet advertising something. It sits next to the miniature dumpster-style recycling trash can pencil holder given away as advertising for the local recycling center.

Just a few examples. I'm sure there must be many more.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 20, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Workbench Ring Holder to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information