Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mini Lathe Multiple Banjos Single Point Threading

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jjr2001 View Post
    Sorry about that Paul
    One more click and I would have pasted in the link..He He.....
    I hate it when that happens!!!

Here is the link for the 2:1 belt drive gear reduction missing from the above post.
    HTD3M 48T 24T Belt Width 15mm Timing Pulley Belt Set Kit Reduction Ratio 2 1 | eBay

They have a wide range of belt widths and pulley dimensions. I think the 2:1 is a good starting place.

There are two PDFs on this page for mini lathe speed reductions. Pretty close to what I was thinking of doing to mine. Ralph Patterson plans

The 80/20 and 80/20 factory setup is about 256 tpi I believe. That is what I have on the original banjo. That info was from VarmitAl's site: Varmint Al's Mini Lathe Page
    Which is another great mini lathe site.

All of the other new banjo gearing is the same as shown in the manual and the threading chart on the head stock cover.
    Only one banjo is used at a time so my feeds are exactly the same as stock. However gadgetbuilder's slow speed banjo is much slower but I am not sure of it's speed.

Cheers, JR
    JR, I get a login box on the Ralph Patterson link, but I own my own Mini-Lathe site, and have Ralph's permission to have his plans posted there. When he gave that permisssion, the toolsandmods link was offering to sell the site to anyone who wanted it. Here's a link to my group: https://groups.io/g/Mini-Lathes It doesn't have the variety of info the 7x12 group has, but we try to be a little less judgmental. It is a members only group, but I'll approve anyone who wants to join, and I check my email several times a day. 1st posts are moderated, if you wish to comment or post, and something to get the groups a little more lively would be nice!

Bill (in OKC on the groups.io sites.)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Sep 1, 2022), old_toolmaker (Sep 1, 2022)

Supporting Member old_toolmaker's Avatar
    Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    I like the simplicity of the interchangeable banjos although I have not found the original equipment method to be a pain. If I did a lot of single point threading it would really be a time saver though. It would be easy enough to make a batch of banjo brackets to have at the ready and switch them out as needed. Over time it would become apparent which ones are used most often.
    All in all this is a wonderful submission to the forum.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old_toolmaker For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Sep 1, 2022), WmRMeyers (Sep 1, 2022)

Thread Information