Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Mobile stand for Fan / Filter

Supporting Member
    Thanks

dgbreggin's Tools

Mobile stand for Fan / Filter

Some months ago, I purchased a box fan with attached filter. The purpose it to help reduce airborne dust when I do "cellulose machining" (wood working). It works well, and I like it very much. It is a bit noisy, though (like most box fans).

This is the item I purchased (no affiliation):

Lasko FF305 Air Flex 2-in-1 20-inch Box Fan and Air Purifier in One with MERV10 Air Purifying Filter for Cleaner Air and a Cooling Breeze
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The biggest issue was finding a place to put it. On the floor works OK, but it should be closer to shoulder lever for better air clearing and circulation. Placing it on a workbench is better, but there it is always in the way. As I frequently do, I searched online for ideas. I found a very basic stand and elaborated on the design to better fit my needs.

Mobile stand for Fan / Filter-front.jpg

I mounted a pair of 1/4-20 carriage bolts on the sides of the fan. I put a slot in the top of the supports and secured it with knobs. The slot allows easy removal of the fan in case I need to service it or want to temporarily put it somewhere the stand doesn't work. The knobs allow the fan to be tipped up or down as desired.

Mobile stand for Fan / Filter-side.jpg Mobile stand for Fan / Filter-fan-mount.jpg

The uprights are 48" tall. The legs are 20" long. I had to add on some small pieces to the legs in order to mount the casters. There are two 2x4 cross-braces cut to length to match the fan width.

Mobile stand for Fan / Filter-rear-1.jpg

I attached a piece of pegboard for diagonal stability, and for tool / supply storage. The pegboard extends a few inches above the upper cross-braces and put a piece of 1x4 across the back to make catch-all shelf for small items.

Mobile stand for Fan / Filter-rear-2.jpg Mobile stand for Fan / Filter-tray.jpg

I also added a small screw hook to one side to help with cord management. I often power this fan from a ceiling-mounted cord reel and use the hook to support the cord. It is also a place to store the fan's plug when not in use.

So far, I just have a bench brush hanging from the pegboard. Plenty of room for other items as I find the need. "You can never have too much storage."

Both sides of the pegboard can be used for storage, though the white side is "downrange" of the fan -- your hat may get blown off if you aren't careful.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dgbreggin For This Useful Post:

Scotty1 (Feb 13, 2023), uv8452 (Feb 14, 2023), yvonf (Feb 14, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

dgbreggin's Tools
    Shortly after completion, I added storage for two of my dust collection accessories -- a bench brush attachment, and a floor sweep attachment.

Mobile stand for Fan / Filter-vac-acc-1.jpg Mobile stand for Fan / Filter-vac-acc-2.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dgbreggin For This Useful Post:

yvonf (Feb 14, 2023)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    These outperform much more expensive air filters and the filter replacements (the greatest long-term cost) are cheaper. We use a DIY air filter similar to this but in a cube format with 5 filters and a circular shroud in front of the fan exhaust, beside our woodburning stove. We have been using this to monitor PM2.5 in the house: https://www.amazon.com/Temtop-M10-Pr.../dp/B07DHXQXGK

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

uv8452 (Feb 14, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks dgbreggin! We've added your Box Fan Stand to our Dollies and Stands category,
    as well as to your builder page: dgbreggin's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information