Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Motion compensating ship personnel transfer gangway - GIF

Thanks

toma's Tools

?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Same boat, with and without a Seakeeper gyroscopic stabilizer:

<video controls autoplay loop>
    <source src="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmt-forum/boat_gyroscopic_stabilizer.mp4" type="video/mp4">
    Your browser does not support the video tag.
    </video>

Around $42K. More: https://www.seakeeper.com/seakeeper_...seakeeper-5hd/
    The right hand one boat is much more exposed to waves.. also it sheltered the stabilized one..! not good for comparison...??!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,850 Times in 11,341 Posts

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Sep 2, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    way too many guys in the hold just standing around like a bunch of dullards.
    Only 1 tag line is never a good recipe
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 31, 2018)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The Bessemer Saloon Steamship, a gimbaled steamship invented by Henry Bessemer, a prolific (100+ patents) inventor in 1868. Bessemer invented this type of ship to combat his seasickness. It worked nicely in model form, but was never built fullsize.

Few persons have suffered more severely than I have from sea sickness, and on a return voyage from Calais to Dover in the year 1868, the illness commencing at sea continued with great severity during my journey by rail to London, and for twelve hours after my arrival there. My doctor saw with apprehension the state I was in. He remained with me throughout the whole night, and eventually found it necessary to administer small doses of prussic acid, which gradually produced the desired effect, and I slowly recovered from this severe attack. My attention thus became forcibly directed to the causes of this painful malady, which I, in common with most other persons, attributed to the diaphragm being subjected to the sudden motions of the ship. Hence, as a natural sequence, its cure appeared only to require that some mechanical means should be devised whereby that part of the ship occupied by passengers should be so far isolated as to prevent it from partaking of the general rolling and pitching motions. In this way I entered, almost without knowing it, into an investigation of the subject; and gradually, as my ideas were developed, I determined to make a model vessel, small enough to be placed on a table, and to which the usual pitching motion of a ship was imparted by clockwork.

On this model was arranged a suspended cabin, supported on separate axes, placed at right angles to each other. I obtained a patent in December, 1869, for this invention, which is represented in two sectional engravings, Figs. 81 and 82, on Plate XXXVII.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Sep 4, 2018), PJs (Sep 3, 2018), Seedtick (Sep 3, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Sep 3, 2018), will52100 (Sep 3, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A system like the Bessemer just like anything else depends on having the bulk of the mass below the pivot so the center of gravity is low.
    Note in his first design there was a ballast suspended below the ballroom pod. in the last photo it appears that the pivot is much higher up with heavy beams serving as the main structure and ballast for the pod. hydraulic cylinders were most likely incorporated to serve as dampeners for those times when the patrons might all move from side to side suddenly.
    Variations of the patents have been incorporated into the design of many skyscrapers to serve as earthquake dampeners even though some have been located in upper floors or near the roof as a completely free floating mass the resting mass absorbs much of the kinetic energy smoothing out the violent shaking
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    must be for earth quake prone yards......sorry I just couldn't rezist it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 16, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I'm struck with a common reaction to Victorian Era patents, with year 1868, era now well underway. Regardless mechanical aspects, physical size, even feasibility; look at detail whose only function is to please the eye.
    Key to this, with 1841 British colonization of Hong Kong, influenced addition of high detail to all manner of product, typified by Oriental design. This doesn't copy the figures as much as the concept, but point was to decorate in so much detail you figuratively never saw the same thing twice. It carried over into everything imaginable; a men's razor, cornice brackets of a roof overhang, hand tools, women's dress, drafting tables, rail dining cars, locomotives, you name it.
    They may not realize it, also the clear foundation for current 'steam-punk' movement. Where a rusty iron-legged table all of a sudden goes for $600...Can't imagine clamor if this ship was built and now it's parts were available!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_decorative_arts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_era
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 4, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    The drawings are pretty spectacular in the fashion of the day and personally enjoy the detail and appreciate the hand work of them. My question of the design is how do they compensate for bow to stern in big seas? Waves of magnitude can be pretty shear and if the Capt. doesn't get it oriented right...oops, regardless of port and starboard compensation (which look to be about 15° in either directions).

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Yes, a strong pitching motion could severely damage the suports of the passenger bearing cage and, if they broke, the whole ship would be in danger. Gimbal lock can be a terrible thing.

I think a better, and far simpler and cheaper, solution would be to suspend Mr. Bessemer in a bosun's chair hanging from a hook in the ceiling in a windowless cabin.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Another good example of a boat device that never made it past the model phase is Abraham Lincoln's patented invention: Buoying vessels over shoals.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 4, 2018)

Thread Information