Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: which motor for a table saw?

Thanks
    Dear Antonio and Sprog.
    Thanks for reply. Actually I'm looking for an almost power motor and as you dear Sprog mentioned induction motor suited me fine. Especially because of less noise. But the problem is that I do not know what kind of induction motor and with what power I have to choose.
    I will appreciate if someone send me links so that I could buy .
    I know some Danish companies in the USA they can send the goods to Denmark. I'm not worried about shipping.
    Thanks again

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    All Mini table saw in Denmark has a universal motor. This means it is very noisy and because I live in an apartment I would like to make a table saw with induction motor.
    I make intarsia but now I will also make some small thing. The wood I will use has normally 2-3 cm thickness.
    the problem is that I can not find the right induction motor. So in terms of power and rpm.
    I'm not so good at English, therefore I use google and I can see in my early posts happened error.
    .I'm sorry about that

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Hi Milan, you have been given good advise and checking with locals is always good. After saying that I will advise on the noise issue. If you are using a belt or pully drive go for the braided belt as it is quieter. if building your own saw try to use noise absorbing materials and consider spraying the inside of the box with a noise killing undercoat such as used under cars or spray foam that is fire safe in your area. Also use blade stabilizers if you can find some to help make smoother cuts and reduces a lot of the blade noise. Good luck and nothing beats the pleasure of being built by you! Make sure you have a way to handle the dust and stay healthy. Looking forward to seeing your finished pride and joy

Thanks
    I Milan,
    the less noisy motor is an induction motor, but rotation speed, and the blade you will use are also factor (size, teeth number etc). About power, if you mount the balde directly at the motor shaft, power in kW = 0.75 X blade diameter in dm. Exemple: 3 dm blade (300 mm) X 0.75 = 2.25kW motor in S1 service factor or 3kW in S6-40% service factor. To buy one, check on the web for some machinery repair service like motor winding, they wil be elpfull to find what you looking for.

Thanks
    Hi
    I purchased an induction motor last night from Ebay.

DAYTON 3N442D ELECTRIC AC INDUCTION MOTOR 1/2 HP 3 PHASE 208-220460 V D56 TEFC

But I am so bad in to electricity and do not know if I should also buy speed control inverter module or it is not necessary.
    Is there anyone who can tell me what should I buy more for the engine work
    Regards

Thanks
    hi, you only need speed controler if you looking to change the speed. But you can use this motor, only if you 3 phase voltage supply at home. If not, you will need a frequency inverter with single phase input and 3 phase output. An other point to watch is the dimensions, this kind of motor are in Imperial (inch) and not Metric (mm) in this way it could be more difficult to do mecanical mounting with European standard stuff (screws, puley etc...)

Thanks

Hi Milan

Quote Originally Posted by milan3181 View Post
    Hi
    I purchased an induction motor last night from Ebay.

DAYTON 3N442D ELECTRIC AC INDUCTION MOTOR 1/2 HP 3 PHASE 208-220460 V D56 TEFC

But I am so bad in to electricity and do not know if I should also buy speed control inverter module or it is not necessary.
    Is there anyone who can tell me what should I buy more for the engine work
    Regards
    Hi Milan,

Unless you have a 3 phase supply available, the motor will not work! As mentioned elsewhere, you would need a phase converter, which would increase the costs considerably and if you want variable speed the system would cost considerably more than a decent saw bench. If intarsia is your main interest, then a small bandsaw or a powered fretsaw would be your best option. Hegner make an excellent range of powered fretsaws with variable speed at reasonable prices. They are also very effective and quiet! Look at Axminster Power tool company (google APTC) for further ideas on small bandsaws and powered fretsaws. Hope this helps!

Sprog

Thanks
    Thanks for the information.
    I've actually checked with regard to use of 3 phase motor in Denmark and I found it here:

(In Denmark and many other countries use a system with 3-phase AC voltage to distribute electricity to consumers. When AC voltage is connected with consumers, traversed elapparaterne of AC power.)

Believe you still I need to get me a supply?

Regards

Thanks
    Dear Sprog
    I have decided to make this table saw
    Here is my motros ionformation:
    Dayton model 3N442D AC Induction motor, Enclosed Fan Cooled, D56 Frame, 1 / 2HP, 3 Phase, 208-220 V low, 440 V high, 3450/2850 RPM, 2.2 to 2.3 / 1.5 AMP, 5/8 "diameter shaft with 3/16 "Keyway.

Can you please send me the link or tell me where I can buy a power supply and what kind of fits my motor?

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by milan3181 View Post
    Dear Sprog
    I have decided to make this table saw
    Here is my motros ionformation:
    Dayton model 3N442D AC Induction motor, Enclosed Fan Cooled, D56 Frame, 1 / 2HP, 3 Phase, 208-220 V low, 440 V high, 3450/2850 RPM, 2.2 to 2.3 / 1.5 AMP, 5/8 "diameter shaft with 3/16 "Keyway.

Can you please send me the link or tell me where I can buy a power supply and what kind of fits my motor?

Thanks
    Hi Milan,

There are many suppliers on the web, Google 3 phase converters and take your pick! I still think a small bandsaw or powered fretsaw are your better options!

Thread Information