Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: which motor for a table saw?

Thanks

Question which motor for a table saw?

HI
    I have a question about table saw motor.
    I am writing from Denmark.
    I started making a mini table saw. Actually I do not have much sense to electronic. I would like to choose a motor for my table saw. An engine with minimum noise because I live in an apartment.
    I dont know which motor is beter.
    I can not choose because there are many things I have to take into account therefore I ask you to help me.
    what kind should I choose? I work with small thing and not all day.

I hope you can help me.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Hi milan3181 - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Good question! I'll move this discussion into our Tools in Progress forum so you can get some good motor recommendations.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Small Table Saw

Quote Originally Posted by milan3181 View Post
    HI
    I started making a mini table saw. Actually I do not have much sense to electronic. I would like to choose a motor for my table saw. An engine with minimum noise because I live in an apartment.
    I can not choose because there are many things I have to take into account therefore I ask you to help me.

I hope you can help me.
    Hello Jon
    I live in Toronto Canada and our power systems are quit different. That being said I believe your power systems are 250 volts and 50 Hz. That puts you ahead of us as the higher voltage means less current. a little less noisy (Short answer) .. If you are a Hobbyist and are cutting only small dressed lumber any small motor from 1/2 Hp to 3/4 Hp will do. > Of course only you can answer how you are going to drive the arbour. (Blade and it's size) This is not straight forward. The big Box stores ofter a contractors fold away saw. These work well for light to medium work. See what motor they use on the machine in you area.

Once you get into 1hp to 5hp you into a big machine. Find the best small motor with good start up torque. AS for noise ...well (short answer) all table saws make a fair amount of noise only very small one 1/3 hp and under don't (like for cutting Balsa and bass wood) for Crafts or thing such as Pen Making Etc.

Regards

Don Keeley
    Last edited by Sharky; Mar 21, 2017 at 12:30 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharky For This Useful Post:

Carlos B (Mar 21, 2017)

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    Very good advice from D. Keeley above the only thing I would add is go for a sealed motor over an open motor, they will draw a little more power over an open motor but they are safer on machines that make wood dust and some say make less noise though I have never noticed much of a difference.

Carlos

Thanks
    My suggestion is to find a local electric motor shop or find an Electrician in your area that you can talk to about what you want to do. In reality .... There are thousands of motors -- and it all depends on the power source available, the power requirements you are in need of, the voltage, the amperage and the drive system -- direct drive or pulley and belt systems etc etc.

Since you are from Denmark, I Goggled and saw this: Mains voltage in Denmark is 220-240V 50Hz. That is the starting point. AGAIN, search out a motor repair shop or motor supply house and a Qualified (licensed/bonded) Electrician to assist you.

My big question is why can't you just purchase a table saw rather than try and build one? There is a lot to getting a saw built from scratch!

Thanks

wormil's Tools
    My recommendation is a little different, for your situation I would buy a small band saw. They are quieter and are better about not throwing dust everywhere.

But to answer your specific question, we need to know blade size and what thickness you plan on cutting.

Thanks

ba38's Tools
    Hi Milan3181
    To answer your question we need to know more information.
    Could you post a picture of your saw? Could you also give us some dimension (saw diameter and thickness), the kind of wood (oak, firtree, plywood,...) and the maximum thickness and height you will cut.

To add some comments I can compare to my own needs as I have both a blade saw (diameter 315 mm, thickness 3 mm) and a band saw (440 mm wheels) with both 3phases 3kW motor. with which I can cut hard wood (70 mm thickness with the blade and 240 mm with the band saw).
    The blade is noisier than the band saw, but both are noisy (and the motor is silent) because of the minimum speed to properly cut wood (50 m/s).
    In fact you can compare the blade with a fire siren : each tooth is a small blade which cut an air stream ...

So give us some more details and we can help you.
    Regards.
    Bernard 1500 km SSW of you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by milan3181 View Post
    HI

I hope you can help me.
    Hello milan,

I am making a new table saw and I bought a 777 motor. After saw a lot of movies and talked with some people I found that the 777 motor is a very good choice.
    I bougt here
    775 motor dc 12v-36v 3500-9000rpm motor grande torque motor de alta potência Venda - Banggood.com

Also I bought these itens form my table saw.

speed controler : Módulo de comutação PWM DC velocidade do motor controlador de velocidade 6v / 12v / 24v / 28v 3a 1203b Venda - Banggood.com

Blade : Lâmina de serra circular discos de corte rotativos 85mm 72 dentes HSS roda de ferramentas rotativas Venda - Banggood.com

Hope this can help you. After table done I will publish about her here.

best regards

Antonio Teixeira

Thanks
    Hi Milan,

As Jon says, all motors are noisy! The best choice would be an induction type, for small work a 3/4 hp model would be sufficient and there are many of this type on ebay at fair prices, although I do not know about postage costs to Denmark. Another alternative, though rather pricey option would be the small table saw units made by Proxxon Contractor saws are a further option but they are very noisy! Although buying a complete unit does rather move away from the self-build concept, unless you have the capabilities to accurately machine trunnions and fence tracking mechanisms etc, this might be the best option. I wish you good luck!

Sprog

Thanks
    Dear Antonio and Sprog.
    Thanks for reply. Actually I'm looking for an almost power motor and as you dear Sprog mentioned induction motor suited me fine. Especially because of less noise. But the problem is that I do not know what kind of induction motor and with what power I have to choose.
    I will appreciate if some one actually I'm looking for an almost silent motor as you dear Language mentioned a induction motor suited me fine. Especially because of less noise. But the problem is that I do not know what kind of induction motor and with what power I have to choose.
    I will appreciate if someone send me links so that I could buy .
    I know some Danish companies in the USA they can send the goods to Denmark. I'm not worried about shipping.
    Thanks again

Thread Information