Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Motorizing a Bead Roller

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    While the winch motors do have plenty of torque One of them might not be my first choice for the power drive. depending on frequency of anticipated use
    My only reason is they are designed for very intermittent use which may be suitable for use as the power of the bead roller, a lot wold depend on how much use it wold get in a half hours time. You see the gear reduction system in them incorporates a single step 200 to 1 reduction and in some cases depending on make or size a 300 to 1 reduction the way this is done goes against any teachings of epicyclic gear manufacturing. they have a single sun gear 3 to 5 or more planets mounted in a free spinning carrier and 2 internal ring gears one will have 200 teeth while the other will have 199 teeth the sun gear mounted to the motor shaft spins while the planet gears rotate around it engaging both of the ring gears one ring gear is fixed and the other is in the drum as every thing spins around the drum gear advances 1 tooth for each 200 revolutions. Its a crazy way of doing it but the darn things work relying on loose and tight gear tolerances
    I have a 1/2" planetary drive Snap-on pneumatic drill that incorporates a similar design over the years I have had several of these grenade themselves as well

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 21, 2017)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

athomp's Tools
    While I am not a fabricator by trade my bead roller with the winch motor has done everything I've asked of it for the past several years without complaint. The load on the motor is minuscule compared to what it was designed for and it only runs for short periods of time. Meanwhile, during the same time period I've had several electric drills burn out using them for their designed purpose.
    This is a simple way of motorizing a bead roller that worked very well for me. If someone wants to make it more complicated with gearboxes and/or belt reductions, fill your boots.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to athomp For This Useful Post:

Rangi (Aug 25, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by athomp View Post
    While I am not a fabricator by trade my bead roller with the winch motor has done everything I've asked of it for the past several years without complaint. The load on the motor is minuscule compared to what it was designed for and it only runs for short periods of time. Meanwhile, during the same time period I've had several electric drills burn out using them for their designed purpose.
    This is a simple way of motorizing a bead roller that worked very well for me. If someone wants to make it more complicated with gearboxes and/or belt reductions, fill your boots.
    It's good to hear how well the service life has been with the winch motor I have a couple of them used as winches mounted on little cranes on my trailer but hardly ever use them in the past I had one to grenade on me that was used a lot but as a winch that was the only way I found out the gear design
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by athomp View Post
    I hope I'm not over thinking this but we are not discounting your solution, merely chipping in on a thread that was meant to give the OP several options. When somebody asks for help it is our way here to let ideas flow. When the pipe threader was mentioned i thought I'd chip in my experience. The "real" pipe threader can be upwards of $1500 and I've never seen one used. I only bumbled on to the HFT version and thought I'd pass it on. It also like most HFT's was a crap shoot quality wise and was lucky to be running it myself when it had a minor failure. I was able to turn it off before it hand grenaded and was able to fix it. I loaned the rig to my neighbor for a week and if it would have happened to him I doubt he would have caught it. So nothing is perfect, we are just trying to be helpful.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 21, 2017)

Thread Information