Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Multi-spindle drilling machine - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,821 Times in 9,923 Posts

Multi-spindle drilling machine - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Nov 6, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I would think if this machine was for production, it would have a fixture to locate the part being drilled instead of the hodge podge clamping method used.
    Way back in the beginning of the 1970s while home on leave I briefly worked at Pettibone Texas. I ran a drill press that had a gang drill head with 5 drill bits attached.
    The bits were ground in such a way to drill and Champer in 1 operation then the part was rotated in the fixture to drill 5 more holes. About the only thing I had to do was insert and clamp the part bring the spindle down close to it lock in the feed switch it on wait until it reached the stop raise the spindle rotate the fixture to the next position let it do its thing again then repeat. I think in the 2 weeks I worked there I made a little more than a month's Army pay.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Frank S; Nov 5, 2023 at 08:20 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I would think if this machine was for production, it would have a fixture to locate the part being drilled instead of the hodge podge clamping method used.
    Way back in the beginning of the 1970s while home on leave I briefly worked at Pettibone Texas. I ran a drill press that had a gang drill head with 5 drill bits attached.
    The bits were ground in such a way to drill and Champer in 1 operation then the part was rotated in the fixture to drill 5 more holes. About the only thing I had to do was insert and clamp the part bring the spindle down close to it lock in the feed switch it on wait until it reached the stop raise the spindle rotate the fixture to the next position let it do its thing again then repeat. I think in the 2 weeks I worked there I made a little more than a month's Army pay.
    With an awesome fringe benefit in addition to the pay...No one shooting at you!!!

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    With an awesome fringe benefit in addition to the pay...No one shooting at you!!!
    Many guys would spend their leave time doing nothing but goofing off getting drunk with friends back home or other things. I had a wife and a baby daughter so anytime I could garner a few extra bucks I took advantage of it. Someday I will tell you how I literally got paid to attend college while I was working towards my associate degree while stationed in Germany.

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Many guys would spend their leave time doing nothing but goofing off getting drunk with friends back home or other things. I had a wife and a baby daughter so anytime I could garner a few extra bucks I took advantage of it. Someday I will tell you how I literally got paid to attend college while I was working towards my associate degree while stationed in Germany.
    Earn while you learn...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    Earn while you learn...
    Yep, and trust me it wasn't easy. the Central Texas College had a program with the Army where it had remote campus learning. I was stationed at Montieth barracks and worked in the motor-pool. the courses were held a Merrell Barracks on the opposite side of Nuremburg. That in itself was a challenge. Limited degree programs were offered, one of which was automotive technology. With a primary MOS of wheeled and a second of track mechanics a third of welding you can guess which program I selected. After completing 12 credit hours you could challenge the final of a course for half the price, you had to score a much higher percentile on the exam than required if you took the course though. After challenging a few I was offered the job of instructing the lab portions of a few of the courses I had challenged. It didn't pay much but enough to allow me to challenge more courses and take others. Instructing was tough since I had to actually study the course and stay ahead of the chapters I was instructing. In the end I think I probably made more than I spent I also received credit for the various Military schools I had attended prior.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

IntheGroove (Nov 7, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I would think if this machine was for production, it would have a fixture to locate the part being drilled instead of the hodge podge clamping method used.......snipped......
    Part location is unclear, especially regarding machined ears around just a portion of holes. I suspect part is profiled elsewhere, previously mounted on the plate (aka pallet) which does have location and orientation points.
    GIF length is about 10 seconds. Part could be stainless, chips say it's cast. The piping spool being made appears to be from the solid, for a high demand installation. Peck drill 8 holes of 5/8" or 3/4" diameter in equal amount of time with a single step bit and coordinate changes?

Uhhh, no.

Can't recall any instance seeing or hearing of a multi-spindle head mounted in a CNC mill. So, in sufficient numbers, a second operation would outpace a tool changer very, very quickly.

Two common multi-spindle drivers are NATCO machines, and Commander mounted units. Commanders can probably set up to 8 places, IIRC, NATCO up to 27.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Nov 12, 2023 at 05:59 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information