Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: new hobby lathe pencil sharpener

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    I see it. I love it but I’d hate to pay for it!
    I have a Bridgeport and a 10" Logan lathe and I do what I can.
    I’d love to have the ability to get equipment like this.
    Enjoy it! Send us photos when you get them spinning.
    Going to be a while before they are spinning Right now I'm having to build a gantry crane just to be able to help unload the big lathe I have 6" pipe for the legs and might have to double stack a pair of 8" beams if I can't locate my piece of 14" heavy beam

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    There'll be a coin toss for which forklift does the backing up; it's a l-oooong way Connecticut to Texas.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jul 2, 2019), Frank S (Jul 3, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    There'll be a coin toss for which forklift does the backing up; it's a l-oooong way Connecticut to Texas.
    I've spent the past 5 days moving things around clearing a space to put the machines when they arrive you'd think with 17 acres find a suitable place to unload for storage until the shop is finished would be easy. It is reported that they coated every machined surface with a moisture and rust inhibiting wax called cavity coater by KBS products it is the same exact thing the Navy uses to coat cavities in fighter jets but under a different name. the stuff is expensive but I have s couple can of it to touch up after unloading before I cover everything with tarps and shrink wrap to help keep the dust and rain off.
    Also I am having to build a rather large A frame gantry crane to assist in lifting the large lathe we are just going to transfer it to another trailer so it will be easier to move into the shop later.

Thanks
    Frank s,
    I have a bit of an understanding of what you are going thru. It took about 6 months from purchase of my little stienel milling machine to first chips in my shop. What a pleasure when the cheapo vfd phase converter worked and the mill made chips. From trying to run the mill at my bosses shop being a failure due to unbalanced 3 phase to waiting for the weather to cooperate. Then getting a trailer that could transport it without laying the mill down to jumping on the chance to trade a bag of cat food with my cousin for help getting the mill from the trailer to its corner of the shop. Now its finely
    just learning curve ahead and tooling. Hope you get well deserved satisfaction from the machines when you get them installed and working.
    Eric

6. The Following User Says Thank You to suther51 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jul 3, 2019)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    ........<snipped> machined surface with a moisture and rust inhibiting wax called cavity coater by KBS products it is the same exact thing the Navy uses to coat cavities in fighter jets but under a different name.......
    Preserving machine ways and other finished surfaces can be a challenge. There is a specific group of products like Frank S mentions, used commercially too. One overlooked trait when people try spraying lubricant-type products is they are wet, and run off the intended surfaces. Darn ol' gravity. Being wet, they'll also allow dirt and dust to adhere.
    Besides Navy and other operators of equipment in salt water environments, the real pro's of anti-corrosive protection are moldmakers and injection mold owners. Their sprays go on and dry quickly, effectively sealing like the wax mentioned above, but still costly.

My recommendation, while unsuitable for harsh conditions alone, is easy, quick enough, and surprisingly economical. It's helpful to have a helper for this. Coat horizontal surfaces with way lube, old motor oil, mineral oil, even olive oil, vertical areas with common auto grease and 'glue' plastic wrap for food to those areas. I'm guessing 60% or more readers have that wrap in a kitchen drawer, and replacement might be .99¢. I'm looking at a box, material is 12" wide x 66 yards long or 200 square feet [18.5 m²].
    So if your lathe has 100 foot ways and you have a quart saved from last oil change. . .
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 4, 2019 at 07:46 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I whole heartedly agree with TM51 protect, protect, protect with what ever you have available and don't be stingy, Far better to have to have a machine steam cleaned when ready to put into service than to have to do a complete teardown and rebuild which is what I may have to do to a few of my machines that were not properly put into storage. many years before I got them. And my Cleareman jig drill that I had left in the care of the guy who rented my old shop is in pretty bad shape My partner in the commercial property we owned together formed a holding company to collect the rents and take care of the properties had to evict the guy for non pymt. of rent but the holding company had allowed this to go on for several years before telling the guy to get out. My machines and equipment were considered station property but this guy deciced he was going to take it all with him he got away with 3 lathes 2 Bridgeport's 2 radial arm drill presses and a host of welding equipment and work tables beofer they realized what he was doing he had the clearman outside ready to comeback and load it when they caught him none of the machines and equipment were recovered and the clearman was just left outside for 6 years before I returned I loaded it up and put it inside a van trailer every thing was already rusted badly and not having any way to really deal with it at the time I dumped a bunch of old oil and grease on it some day soon I am really going to have deal with it.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Well my toys arrived about 10PM tonight the big lathe may have the number 36 inches molded into the casting but it can swing 54" between the carriage and the chuck. the Brand is American. the little lathe is a Sheldon

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Well we got everything unloaded
    it was all my backhoe wanted but the old gal did the job.
    I was genuinely amazed at the good condition all of the machines are. All were still under power in the shop but had so much debris piled against and on top of them that when I first saw them I couldn't get close enough to them to check them out. the Cincinnati horizontal mill has the T50 taper as to be expected but it also has a rt angle attachment head bolted to the table I didn't see that when I saw the mill the first time this means I can do vertical milling as well as horizontal boring the table is 12 x54 this one in infinite variable speed spindle my old one as I remember it, was transmission selected gearing but it has been a long time since it has been gone.
    the 6 head drill press in variable speed as well
    the little Sheldon lathe looks like a brand new 70 year old machine it is in such good condition. 6 1/2" awing over the cross slide and 36" between centers can swing 13" at the chuck
    the Big American Tool co. lathe has 36" cast into the power head and with the riser blocks can swing 54" at the chuck I couldn't find and wear or damage to the ways either.
    the Tig machine is a 525 amp machine complete with water cooler foot peddle and torch. Not sure what I'm going to do with it as what I really needed was a little 250 amp machine or even a 180amp for the tig welding that I might ever do.
    new hobby lathe pencil sharpener-20190705_210548c.jpg

new hobby lathe pencil sharpener-20190705_210638c.jpg

new hobby lathe pencil sharpener-20190705_210617c.jpg

new hobby lathe pencil sharpener-20190705_211135c.jpg

new hobby lathe pencil sharpener-20190705_211314c.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190705_210617c.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	332.3 KB 
ID:	30312

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    You'll want to find or fabricate a parking attachment for the Cincinnati's vertical head, very difficult to mount otherwise. If you can find some part or model numbers, I bet your 562 area code buddy can find a good description or actual part.
    The production drill with six heads, running coolant can outrun a CNC with box or plate jigs. I like those machines with hand tight Albrecht chucks, one quick change like a BIG-Daishiwa [formerly Sheppard] or Magic Chucks, and a small tapping head. They look to be #3MT, it would handle 1/2"/ 12-14mm taps in most materials.
    I see they are wired with plugs; my favorite L16-20 twist locks. Fuse them at the wall, twist lock for disconnects!
    And that 3rd picture; what is THAT; some kind of paper weight? Lol, maybe a salesman sample?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    You'll want to find or fabricate a parking attachment for the Cincinnati's vertical head, very difficult to mount otherwise. If you can find some part or model numbers, I bet your 562 area code buddy can find a good description or actual part.
    The production drill with six heads, running coolant can outrun a CNC with box or plate jigs. I like those machines with hand tight Albrecht chucks, one quick change like a BIG-Daishiwa [formerly Sheppard] or Magic Chucks, and a small tapping head. They look to be #3MT, it would handle 1/2"/ 12-14mm taps in most materials.
    I see they are wired with plugs; my favorite L16-20 twist locks. Fuse them at the wall, twist lock for disconnects!
    And that 3rd picture; what is THAT; some kind of paper weight? Lol, maybe a salesman sample?
    The Leyland Gifford 6 head has MT3 spindles 2 of the heads have power feed and one of them has a reduction gear box on the top of the motor the rest are 3600 RPM motors with a variable speed controller that adjusts to a lower RPM An up grade to a SCR or VFD would probably no be a bad idea. These hollow shaft motors would be as difficult find for replacements 6.6 Fl amps puts them in the 2 HP range the charts on the speed controller shows the recommended ft/min cutting and drill size speed 5/8" being the max size.
    Have a look at the table there is not a single divot in it this tells me that this machine never saw a part drilled that was not held in a fixture it has the single torque and location slot right down the middle it would have been nice to had found the top indexing plate but I did receive 2 of the 8" quick clamp vices
    new hobby lathe pencil sharpener-20190705_185423bv.jpg
    You say this is a paper weight compared to yours and my way of thinking you are correct however many is the time when I have wanted a smaller machine to do the smaller jobs instead of firing up a 3 to 25 hp machine I can run 10x the parts in a shorter time frame on a small machine like this and runn it all day long on less electricity than it takes just to switch on a larger machine.
    Jane asked me why on Earth did I need 5 lathes count-em FIVE. I just told her because I used to have 4 and sometimes had all 4 of them turning at the same time while she ran the drill press the Bridgeport a band saw and sometimes a horizontal mill at the same time.
    To that she said yeah but we don't have 6 or 8 guys welding for us now for us to try and keep ahead of them LOL
    new hobby lathe pencil sharpener-20190705_210557c.jpg
    Our being 25 years older might have something to do with her thinking I don't actually need 5 lathes and 3 mills 4 band saws and 78 welding machines and so far no shop to put them all in
    Last edited by Frank S; Jul 7, 2019 at 02:07 PM.

Thread Information