Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: new hobby lathe pencil sharpener

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Well the paperweight quip was only comparative. There are entire industries that prosper on those alone.
    After the current action finishes with punch presses, spot-welders and ironworkers, there is one Logan I've taken shots at over time. Owner resists, though it never gets used. It's attractions are Varispeed, chucks and collets, a lever-operated sensitive rig for the tailstock, and a drop on [saddle] turret. Until need arise past 21" diameter, this and the Pacemaker I think cover any projects in mind. Over the years, been few jobs demanding a shaft lathe [mol 150" between centers]. Since diameter generally over rule length IMO, the best options seem to be VTL/ VBM's like Kings and Bullard's. And huge savings in floor space.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Well the paperweight quip was only comparative. There are entire industries that prosper on those alone.
    After the current action finishes with punch presses, spot-welders and ironworkers, there is one Logan I've taken shots at over time. Owner resists, though it never gets used. It's attractions are Varispeed, chucks and collets, a lever-operated sensitive rig for the tailstock, and a drop on [saddle] turret. Until need arise past 21" diameter, this and the Pacemaker I think cover any projects in mind. Over the years, been few jobs demanding a shaft lathe [mol 150" between centers]. Since diameter generally over rule length IMO, the best options seem to be VTL/ VBM's like Kings and Bullard's. And huge savings in floor space.
    There was a twin tool Bullard or King with tool grinder attachment about 15 to 20 tons or more worth of hog iron was about all it was worth though. Someone like you or me could have done a refurb on it and made a useful machine out of it but several things kept my mouth shut. #1 it was tall enough and large enough that it would have been a permit load on any double drop. the small tool column was 8" in diameter 8ft turn table #2 there was no way I was going to have access to something to load or unload it #3 the freight would have cost as much as the machine and #4 until a complete tear down and refurb it would have just been yard art. I've got enough of that LOL. Plus I'm not planning on seeking that aspect of business. But I guess I could have been that guy who said I got one.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 7, 2019)

Thread Information