Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Jaws for Bench Vise Made From an Old File

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    I don't know if that is sacrilege, or genius. I'll go for genius! I don't have any files large enough to do that to either of my large vises. I may have to give it a try with the Panavise and Wilton that's similar to a Panavise, and now I need to start looking for some larger files, too.
    Are you really sure you want vise jaws that are brittle, very difficult to machine and leave marks in anything clamped?

I replaced the jaws on my vise with ordinary steel into which I had milled a variety of V-grooves, both horizontal and vertical. Putting vertical holes to accommodate pins allows clamping odd shapes as is done with jewelers' clamps.

A similar prismatic jaw for the Panavise removes the need to mount and dismount jaws for different jobs...

Prismatic jaw for Panavise

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 22, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Are you really sure you want vise jaws that are brittle, very difficult to machine and leave marks in anything clamped?

I replaced the jaws on my vise with ordinary steel into which I had milled a variety of V-grooves, both horizontal and vertical. Putting vertical holes to accommodate pins allows clamping odd shapes as is done with jewelers' clamps.

A similar prismatic jaw for the Panavise removes the need to mount and dismount jaws for different jobs...

I agree. Serious vises have serrated jaws yes, 2 or 3 times thickness of a typical file. Unless the jaw 'beds' are dang near perfectly flat, and perfectly seated flat-head screws [not actually possible, cone section are rarely concentric with body of screw], brittleness of a file will be on verge of breaking. Not braking, lol. Thicker material and socket heads front or back are common in good vises. I'd guess hardened jaws don't need a Rc above 45 something. A lot of them are coarsely face milled with flat serrations, and satisfactory in my book.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post

For some things, yes. Not for everything, of course. I have soft plastic jaws with magnets to hold them on like the prismatic jaws in your link. I have bent aluminum sheet jaws, and wood jaws. Hard jaws can be good for hard and very hard materials. Which I sometimes have had to deal with. And I have material here for various other kinds and types of jaws. I also have multiple vises, in sizes from 1" to 6", and also made of several materials. Variety requires and includes versatility.

Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Best thing about this entire discussion, and typical throughout our site;
    a] truths are evident,
    b] each of us have different parameters,
    c] a few mere sentences usually dilute the features we try to expound.

YMMV
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    This forum is the best, for that reason. Truly. Practical Machinist has a lot of good info, but it's just as you described: lots of elitist forum-nazis, so I don't bother interacting there. Life's too short for that nonsense.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information