Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: New member

Thanks

Hi

Last fall I purchased a Unimat DB 200. It was in very good shape and still has the original belts. I don't think the milling setup was ever used.

My main interest is in building plastic car kits but having the Unimat has enabled me to do things that I was not able to do before. I am gradually building up my stock of tools and yesterday got a Soba 3 inch rotary table.

The pictures show my 1:24 scale Supertest station diorama, which is nearly finished, and a shot of how the Unimat was used to make a part.

I am retiring in 23 months and will then have a lot more time for model building and using the Unimat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New member-dscf1875.jpg   New member-dscf1877.jpg   New member-dscf1871.jpg   New member-dscf1730.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin John For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Nov 2, 2015)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,006 Times in 11,394 Posts
    Hi Colin - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Impressive detail! I believe you're our first plastic model maker on board. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of the finished diorama

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Jon

Thanks for the compliment. After thinking it was finished I entered it at a contest and it was suggested that it would be better displayed with the roof off. This means it needs more details inside, including the washrooms.

Here is a description of the diorama so far;

Celebration of the 60’s
    The Diorama depicts the opening day of a new Supertest station on June 25, 1965. The feature event of the grand opening is the display of the fully restored Miss Supertest III.
    Inside the garage the guys are scrambling to get their Mini Cooper race car finished. It has just come back from the body shop and the driver is sitting in it while he waits for the racing harness to be fitted.
    Outside the boat owner and a mechanic are looking at how to fix the bent steering on the Sea Flea being towed by a 1966 VW bug.
    The 64 ½ Mustang owner and her friend have just bought gas and are now looking at the map to see how to get to Mosport.
    Kits used;
    Fujimi 11004 Drivers – combined parts from the two female figures into one figure. Fujimi 11003 Mechanics. Fujimi 11186 Tools scratchbuilt Oxy-acetylene stand and improved kit parts
    Tamiya Morris Mini Cooper Racing 24130 – scratchbuilt roll cage and interior modified to full race configuration. Custom decals
    Monogram 64 ½ Mustang 89-4019 with photo etch hood hinges
    Tamiya 24136 1966 VW Beetle 1300 – scratchbuilt tow hitch. Towing the Osborn 1/24 Sea Flea wooden kit with scratchbuilt trailer and hitch
    Osborn 1/24 Miss Supertest III wood kit with many scratchbuilt details including extensive modifications to cockpit which started as the vacuum formed plastic kit part. The engine is a 1/24 Trumpeter RR Merlin modified to convert it to look like a RR Griffin. The trailer was scratchbuilt from styrene, brass tubing and uses real bolts and nuts. The wheels and tires were cast in resin from modified wheels.
    Academy Joe’s Power Plus Service Station 15122 – scratchbuilt interior walls, roof, end wall and rear wall, furniture and printed calendar, poster and magazines. Interior lighting was scratchbuilt. Custom decals.

Thanks
    Hi Colin,

Welcome!

That Supertest diorama is the most immensely cool thing I've seen in a long time. Does it depict the opening of a specific, real-life station? If not, what's the significance of the date? If so, what became of it and do you have any photos of it throughout its life? I think you've really got something there, conceptually. Very, very neat.

What's the next thing you're planning to build with the Unimat?

Ken

Thanks
    Ken

Thanks for the kind words. The date has no special significance except it is mid 66's and fit in with the vehicles I wanted to display. The station was modeled after a real station located in Toronto. Many of the elements in the station in the diorama are from my life or memory. I owned a white 1966 VW bug and had a Sea Flea on a home made trailer. Miss Supertest III is a Canadian icon that I remember well from growing up. I was 15 when the Mustang came out and hence the Mustang.

I got back into building model cars over 10 years ago and this was my first attempt at building a diorama. It is sized to fit into my glass door cabinet, hence never needs dusting, and so is a little cramped.

Naturally a service station needs a Coke machine and it turns out no one makes a square top one. The picture shows one I built from scratch using the Unimat and a couple of shots using the Unimat to make the parts.

I'm also finishing off the washrooms and could get resin parts for it but casting resin plumbing that size is hard so the Unimat is being used to make up new toilet flush valves. I'm waiting for my styrene hex rod to arrive and then when it is finished will post a picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New member-dscf2048.jpg   New member-dscf2046.jpg   New member-dscf2087.jpg  

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,657 Posts
    Fantastic dioramas Colin. I was an active modeler in my younger years but wouldn't dare call myself that now after seeing your work!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Colin,
    Thank you for the photos of the Unimat setup for milling and your custom milling table. I have been wanting to building one of these for my Unimat. I enjoyed seeing your Supertest station diorama and all the custom fabrication including what can be machined with the Unimat. You are an exceptional small scale modeler.
    Thank you, Paul Jones.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information