Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Now anyone can pull-start any engine !

Thanks

brankif's Tools

Now anyone can pull-start any engine !

I posted my garage-made Pullstarter tool here a while back and got some very positive comments on it's operation, so thanks for those comments. I've developed the tool to be more slick and robust - it's now available and can be seen in action at https://www.pullstarters.com
    Apologies if this seems like an advert - These units are made in small volume from extruded and machined aluminum, and I'm a start up operation with very limited funding.
    Comments most welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Now anyone can pull-start any engine !-new_puller3.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brankif For This Useful Post:

baja (Nov 27, 2019), Paul Jones (Feb 8, 2020), rgsparber (Nov 26, 2019), shopandmath (Nov 29, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts
    This is an interesting tool that you originally posted here five years ago. It's good to see that you've brought it to market.

How did the development and manufacturing process go?

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

brankif (Nov 26, 2019)

Thanks

brankif's Tools
    Development was a long process. I initially got a set of drawings completed by a student engineer, then got the first parts machined locally here in Ireland. The parts were expensive to make here , so I needed to go abroad to get them made a little cheaper, but then I ran into some quality problems that needed resolved. However, I must say the company I worked with seen the potential and once I committed to making a reasonable volume (100 units) they worked with me to resolve the teething problems. Just to be sure though I personally check and pack each unit. The unit is still mostly made from machined aluminum parts and bespoke aluminum extrusion. So it's not mass produced and I do incur quite a few shipping costs, hence , sorry to say it is a little expensive, but does do the job when a decent drill is attached. Thanks for allowing the post.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    We originally got our milling machines and later horizontal band saw and lathe after getting tired of paying high prices for other people to do stuff.

First it was the big manual mill. That paid for itself in about 3 jobs. Then came the tabletop mini CNC mill for plastic enclosures, that after $$$$ for punches for various hole sizes and the hassle of punching by hand.

And so it goes from there...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

brankif (Nov 26, 2019)

Thanks

brankif's Tools
    Thanks for that - may be a way to go if I get a few units sold

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by brankif View Post
    Thanks for that - may be a way to go if I get a few units sold
    Works very well if you keep the design simple. About 20 years later I added a DRO to the mill which helped immensely on larger items with several hole sizes. First you don't have to worry if you turned the crank 100 times or 101. Second REALLY helpful is when you are making holes in something longer than your milling range (mine has a 500mm X range). Make one batch of holes, slide the item town, zero off one of those holes and make the others. Might be a tiny bit off but for what I do a couple of fractions of a mm don't matter.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

brankif (Nov 26, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Mate, I watched your video and that thing is awesome. It has so many potential customers that are capable of using the machines but for a variety of reasons can’t operate the pull start or people like me that can’t be bothered and would rather use your invention. My only issue is that some a-hole will rip off your idea and get it manufactured at a fraction of the price leaving you with nothing. I have seen it happen and the big box hardware stores can be the worst as they have huge power and resources. Best of luck and you deserve a lot of credit for getting it this far. Cheers Stuart. Australia.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrounga For This Useful Post:

brankif (Nov 26, 2019)

Thanks

brankif's Tools
    Thanks for that Stuart - I thought I'd see how far I can take the product. Big manufacturers like were not interested when I had the idea and hopefully they keep their hands off it. At least now I will be able to start my own engines for a long time.

Thanks

brankif's Tools
    Hi all, I have had some queries on the web site regarding the power the drill can provide on the pull stroke.
    There is a design 'trick' inside the unit that means when the cord is being retracted into the engine, the drill is working to stretch a bungee cord.
    That means that on the pull stroke, the energy stored in the bungee cord is added to the power of the drill, resulting in a very impressive, powerful, speedy pull.
    A good quality drill is still required for larger engines - I am OK to comment here or will reply personally via any web-site query regarding the power that your drill can deliver (if you provide me with your drill make and model number)

Thanks

brankif's Tools
    I remembeered i had this You Tube video that shows how it works - I hope you like it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information