Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nuclear power plant control room - photo

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Love it. ... keeping me on topic will be nearly as hard as converting me into a vegan. So The Simpsons, where was I.

Just to put the last few comments well and truely to bed, I find it interesting how on archaeological digs they always find signs of us eating animals - for like thousands of years.

Doh

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Jul 11, 2020 at 09:53 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 11, 2020)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Im trying to find the panel that looks somthing like this

Attachment 35742

vitally important apparently.

There have been a few Scifi films showing a Submarine jumping out of the water. not somthing that is encouraged. Bit of an issue with buoyancy, you can capsise a submarine when its ballast tanks are out of the water. The precurser to this action is usually a SCRAM - shutting down the reactor and putting the sub on the roof as they call it. I only have knowledge of one submarine ever doing this and that was HMS Revenge (UK RN) which hit and underwater mountain. Interesting to see it in so many films when its an action of last resort. My interest in nuclear is from two angles really, you would never guess i was in the Navy and the other is the fact i only live about 35 miles from BNFL Sellafield or as we like to call it Springfield.

Its a weird environment to work in, you are getting low doses (obviously planned) when your working in that environment but there is no obvious ill effect or indication that its there. Electricity is more obvious, high voltage buzzes like a bitch. If we thought of covid as being a nuclear incident would the public's behaviour towards it be any different? Ie. if your were not on deaths door from radiation sickness would one consider it safe to go out night clubbing or rioting. Its hard to understand a silent killer, most of us have experienced a tickle from electricity and would very sensibly and with some care and logic avoid it like the plague. Even putting a PP3 battery on your tounge is not advised and yet some people live in Granite houses with quite high levels of radiation emitting from the stone.

I think i was about 10 when i went to a presentation from BNFL about mini reactors, the thought was at some point in the future it would be possible to have somthing the size of a matchbox power a home. The fuel required would be no more than the size of a pencil dot. Roll on some 40 years and they are now talking about mini reactors constructed to provide power for small towns and districts with the reactor and machinary fitting into somthing the size of a shipping container. from a safety angle that would seriously concern me. if it suffered a thermal runaway the outcome would be like the fuel explosion in Bopal which took out 10 villages.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Jul 11, 2020 at 10:32 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 12, 2020)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Obligatory Simpsons clip.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Jul 12, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jul 11, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Ooops. late night SNAFU*.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 12, 2020 at 12:50 AM. Reason: * Gimme a break, moved 11,000 lbs of hot roll strip today.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Obligatory Simpsons clip.
    Obligatory, lol. I've probably put in 10 on my own...
    I can't find one of Homer on or referring to any nuke aircraft carriers....so allow me interject yours truly.
    I spent 3 years on USS Enterprise CVAN [later CVA] 65. As ultimate front line inter-ocean deployable, the equivalent first responders to all manner of events. That created morale boosters and reducers at nearly same rate. But as a ship, she astounds me more than 40 years later. The 4 reactors did everything, smoothly, dependably, at instant required. Unlimited power under watchful eyes of nuclear-trained engineering officers and men. I'd warrant, there were no Homer Simpsons.
    Over time, I'd been assigned to 5 additional carriers; all were fine, but none performed like Enterprise.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Jul 12, 2020)

Thread Information