Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Odd-jobs.

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Odd-jobs.

Any of you odd-job men/odd-job women. Can’t say I was especially flattered to be introduced to visitors as one. (No, I was not narked, it set me to thinK) Vocational training in odd-jobbery? Which occupational education encompasses the widest range skills/knowledge? I should think, farming. What do you others suggest?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Difficult to single out 'widest' without background in every field. Farming & ranching would rank high, I should think. So will that of general veterinarian, or owner of an apartment block. However, easy bet says there are farmers who hire tractor mechanics, crop dusters, co-op planting, and seasonal harvesters. Same can hold for any
    occupation. I equate accumulating skills/ knowledge to being absorbed by a chosen occupation. Essentially, a healthy form of addiction.

As a machinist these past decades, it seems every trade I worked on my way to machinist connect in fairly linear progression.
    Fast Food? = People skills Check. Mason? = Hard work, planning and doing things in order. Check. Aircraft Handler?, absolutely useless, unless enduring 18 hour days regard as positive lol. Navigator? = Talk about detail, planning, and accountability! Besides, time-speed-distance not an iota different than RPM - feed, and both happen within a Cartesian envelope. Check. Leading Petty and Training Officer? = used all preceding traits. Check.
    Accordingly, when vision for my shop came along, it drew what good or bad details every facility demonstrated. Including one with a low ceiling; insufficient headroom to load stock equivalent to swing of their largest lathe. Or parking a vertical bandsaw between 3 obstructions to stock length, width, or cut-to length. That supervisor always touted extensive background in manufacture and process engineering. I never saw any benefit of those. Turns out he had years in a check printing outfit...and farmed out maintenance.

A wee rant? Well, I relate via quite illustrative lyrics;

Straight up, what did you hope to learn about here
    If I were someone else, would this all fall apart
    Strange, where were you, when we started this gig,
    I wish the real world, would just stop hassling me
    And you, and you, and me
    I wonder what it's like to be the head honcho
    I wonder what I'd do if they all did just what I said
    I'd shout out an order, I think we're out of this man get me some
    Boy don't make me wanna change my tone, my tone

Matchbox 20 "Real World"

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Apr 25, 2020 at 01:59 AM. Reason: out of practice posting?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Apr 25, 2020)

Thread Information