Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: What if any are your off topic projects during the lockdown

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools

What if any are your off topic projects during the lockdown

here's a couple of mine The house has masonite siding and through they years wind rain and the elements has deteriorated some of it so I ripped if off and replaced it with John Hardy Plank Siding
    What if any are your off topic projects during the lockdown-wp_20200324_19_13_08_prosd.jpg

What if any are your off topic projects during the lockdown-wp_20200409_15_14_09_prois.jpg

What if any are your off topic projects during the lockdown-wp_20200409_12_35_14_prois.jpg
    For the past nearly 5 years now we have been using a laundry matt to do our washing even though we have a washer and dryer
    the drain for the washer terminated under the floor of the house and you can imagine what a disaster that would be to drain the water under there. So this week I decided I'm not making another 80 mile round trip to the laundry matt plus I wanted to do some floor leveling in one corner of the kitchen The easiest way to accomplish this was to cut a 2 ft by 10 foot hole in the front bathroom floor to gain access to the plumbing and drain.
    What I found was a keg of worms but I knew the drainage system was dodgy anyway.
    the Kitchen sink was on a 40 ft long 1 1/4 Poly pipe that ran all the way to the back bathroom before joining with the soil pipe the same thing with the lavatory in the front bathroom only it was on a 1 inch poly pipe.
    there is the before picture the after will have to come later as I still have some copper to sweat in tomorrow
    What if any are your off topic projects during the lockdown-wp_20200416_15_32_52_prodf.jpg
    the floor joists are 2x6 on 24" centers the cross beams are doubled 2x6's and are on 15 ft centers
    to I managed to thread a 4x6 9 ft long beam under the floor to use for support
    What if any are your off topic projects during the lockdown-wp_20200417_18_25_12_prodf.jpg

What if any are your off topic projects during the lockdown-wp_20200417_18_46_01_prodf.jpg

What if any are your off topic projects during the lockdown-wp_20200417_18_46_21_prodf.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Tryin' to decide what to start on now Frank but I understand "enough is enough". My pickup truck bed hoist came about due to the same conclusion after hurting myself loading up a bed full of cheap steel and now I wonder why I didn't do it sooner. Mindless inertia I suppose.

What if any are your off topic projects during the lockdown-hoist.jpg

2000 Tool Plans
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Crusty I need a couple pickup loads of rocks about the size of cantaloupes that I can place in a circle and paint them white then install a couple of flag poles in the circle along with a 2" cannon but I'm too lazy yo haul the rocks and too busy to make a cannon right now let alone to take a couple 30' lengths of 5" pipe then split them and taper them down to 2"

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    What about digging a circular trench to bury old tires halfway and then paint them white? That would keep you out of the rock haulin' business.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    What about digging a circular trench to bury old tires halfway and then paint them white? That would keep you out of the rock haulin' business.
    I could do that I have plenty of old tires just hate the looks of them

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    And just like that the house went from one nonfunctioning connection for a washing machine to having 2 places the washing machine can be hooked up.
    What if any are your off topic projects during the lockdown-wp_20200418_14_40_23_prodf.jpg
    As long as you ignore the hole in the floor
    What if any are your off topic projects during the lockdown-wp_20200418_16_22_28_prodf.jpg

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    We started ripping the wall paper off the walls. I told the wife I'd like to drywall over the paneling with green rock then paint or cover over the paneling with cement backer board and tile the walls with a mosaic tile pattern. But I think she just wants to panel over the panels with those bathroom panels that look like tile. Her argument is that would be faster and cheaper well it is hard to argue against faster and cheaper even if also cheaper looking she says if left up to me I'd probably make a life carrier out of a bathroom redo like I am doing with my shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Ms. Frank S observations - "Her argument is that would be faster and cheaper well it is hard to argue against faster and cheaper even if also cheaper looking she says if left up to me I'd probably make a life carrier out of a bathroom redo like I am doing with my shop".
    Ouch.
    Don't let the Ms. in on my haphazard schedule and slow achievements. But those tasks get finished as well I can.
    1. My tenant [1707 miles away] won't call in the middle of the night with an issue.
    2. Attention can revert [5 month delay] getting my building in shape and producing an income.
    3. The delay lost opportunities on re-use materials for mezzanine; with no-one to accept and store them indoors. That project must be next completed to support finishing interior.
    I don't have a direct Honey-Do administrator but I know this. For a shop to run effectively it [ie infrastructure] needs attention from outset so things don't appear later. A running shop has more likely potential than a room completed with less than due care, bathroom or not.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information