Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Official Contest Thread - Vote for the Most Useful Homemade Tool!

Thanks

Official Contest Thread - Vote for the Most Useful Homemade Tool!

Click here for the contest's Final Voting Poll

It's time for another HomemadeTools.net contest! We thought we'd throw it wide open this time around, so...

The theme is: Most Useful Homemade Tool

Forum members may nominate entries as replies to this thread. Nominations should include both the name of the tool and its HomemadeTools.net link.

The official rules:

• Any forum member may nominate entries
    • Anyone may vote, though only once per person
    • A member may not nominate his own tool, but he may vote for it should it be nominated by someone else

Prize structure:

• 1st = $100 hardware-related gift card (winner's choice of several) + HomemadeTools.net T-shirt
    • 2nd = $50 hardware-related gift card (winner's choice of several) + HomemadeTools.net T-shirt
    • 3rd = HomemadeTools.net T-shirt
    • Bonus = The nominator of the 1st prize winner will also receive a HomemadeTools.net T-shirt

Official Contest Thread - Vote for the Most Useful Homemade Tool!-blackshirtfront-actualdesign_zpsd3288f8c.jpg Official Contest Thread - Vote for the Most Useful Homemade Tool!-blackshirtrear-actualdesign_zps0576ae37.jpg
    Official Contest Thread - Vote for the Most Useful Homemade Tool!-whiteshirtfront-actualdesign_zps14a3da8f.jpg Official Contest Thread - Vote for the Most Useful Homemade Tool!-whiteshirtrear-actualdesign_zpsfbd2d65d.jpg

The Contest's nomination phase will last for one week, followed by a one week voting period conducted via forum poll. The three tool entries garnering the most votes will be declared the winners and announced on Friday, May 9.

OK, tool fans: get to it!! Reply directly in this thread with your nominations.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,236 Times in 9,716 Posts
    For me, multipurpose tools and machines are the most useful. Therefore, I would like to nominate sdudley's Mini-Tablesaw / Router / Shaper. A great tool to have if you're into woodworking. I highly recommend this one. Complete templates and clear instructions will speed up construction and enhance the quality of the build.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    It's certainly challenging to identify the "most useful" tool. I will nominate a tool modification that meets my definition of useful...meaning a tool I would reach for over and over again. This idea seems particularly interesting to me: bfk's Tape Measure Modification

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Ever since I started tinkering, I haven't been without an air compressor. It can be used for a multitude of things, so I'd like to nominate mr slug's Air Compressor. Nothing fancy, just a workhorse.
    Last edited by DIYer; Apr 24, 2014 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
    It's time for another HomemadeTools.net contest! We thought we'd throw it wide open this time around, so...

The theme is: Most Useful Homemade Tool

Forum members may nominate entries as replies to this thread. Nominations should include both the name of the tool and its HomemadeTools.net link.

The official rules:

• Any forum member may nominate entries
    • Anyone may vote, though only once per person
    • A member may not nominate his own tool, but he may vote for it should it be nominated by someone else

Prize structure:

• 1st = $100 hardware-related gift card (winner's choice of several) + HomemadeTools.net T-shirt
    • 2nd = $50 hardware-related gift card (winner's choice of several) + HomemadeTools.net T-shirt
    • 3rd = HomemadeTools.net T-shirt
    • Bonus = The nominator of the 1st prize winner will also receive a HomemadeTools.net T-shirt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackShirtFront-ActualDesign_zpsd3288f8c.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	1565 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackShirtRear-ActualDesign_zps0576ae37.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	1566
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhiteShirtFront-ActualDesign_zps14a3da8f.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	1567 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhiteShirtRear-ActualDesign_zpsfbd2d65d.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	1568

The Contest's nomination phase will last for one week, followed by a one week voting period conducted via forum poll. The three tool entries garnering the most votes will be declared the winners and announced on Friday, May 9.

OK, tool fans: get to it!! Reply directly in this thread with your nominations.
    Here's my favourite it's a byMaverick Solar on mavericksolar.net DC Generator Homemade DC Generator

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    This was a very difficult choice, as "useful" is a label that could easily be applied to almost every tool on Homemadetools.net.

Nevertheless, I've decided on mafe's Homemade Pencil Keeper for my nomination. Super simple, with only two two basic components, but extremely useful.

Thanks
    Selecting a single "Most Useful Homemade Tool" was quite difficult, but I finally settled on Matthias Wandel's Sawhorses. They're simple, easy to build, and absolutely essential for a wide variety of shop tasks.

Ken

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information