Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Overloaded trailer fail - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 12, 2019), carloski (Oct 18, 2021), Scotsman Hosie (Oct 20, 2019), Seedtick (Oct 11, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Probably a good thing the Hyena drove on the guy was already not in a good mood.
    We don't know if he had the trailer loaded tail heavy or if his load had shifted. A number of causes could have been in play prior to the accident leading up to a jack knife situation with the small car being lifted off the ground.
    Karma will eventually bite the Hyena and when it does I hope the poor guy whose situation seems so funny to the Hyena see it and just drives on by.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Oct 12, 2019), shopandmath (Oct 12, 2019)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    I thought he had come up with an ingenious way of changing a wheel, every cloud and all that.

typical he makes a tit of himself and its everybody else's fault, just hang your head in shame Mr wannabe big guy changes are there would be two guys in the wagon who could go tag on you giving you a good pasting. The scenery looks like the architecture/gates to an estate house in the UK, the plates on the car are European German or French perhaps. His attitude has caused the farmer to drive off as it looked like he was driving away as the wagon pulled up.
    The flat tyre looks like the domino that fell first despite all the other indicators to an idiot being allowed to drive at all

um, block up the car, unload the trailer and unhook it from the car then unblock the car and get it back on the ground.
    I was thinking of lifting the trailer and straightening out the pile of snot but the weight would still be in the back of the trailer
    unloading the trailer would at some point bring the car back end down at a great rate of knots - more crunching.
    Its at least a £800 to £1200 mistake for a new bumper and respray, good job its not one of those bumpers that the foam filler expands on impact like the old Ford Mondeo's it would look like he had driven off a cliff in it. That's the experience i had when an old boy back ended me. Uh ur Mrs.

I would have laughed seriously hard to find out the guys in the truck were a recovery vehicle who just happened to be passing.
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Oct 12, 2019 at 03:49 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Oct 20, 2019)

Thanks

shopandmath's Tools
    I have run into this situation myself sort of
    I was getting a gravel loaded from a large wheel loader
    He hit the back of the trailer with the bucket while talking forward and lifted my Truck off of the ground it was probably just a small amount but it felt like it was 10 feet in the air
    He was new and not used to loading vehicles should’ve been loading from the side not the back
    There’s only a small amount of damage to the trailer

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shopandmath For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Oct 12, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Oct 20, 2019)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Tried to find the truck centre from the TAX disc and details in the front windscreen of the truck - obviously UK it written in American English, the clip is donkey's years old the details show a fax number - seriously.
    Jon is this fake news.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Supporting Member
    Thanks

skibo's Tools
    He sure look's all puffed up in His moment of embarrassment!

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Hard to tell if it is or even should be embarrassment having a flat tire happens to everyone eventually. From the looks of the trailer the rt tire is flat little single axle trailers can be a handful to control when they get a flat at speed or sometimes even at a reasonably slow speed. If they are empty they often try to flip over and have been known to self destruct behind a larger heavy vehicle.
    being that it looks to have been loaded possibly with dirt the only possible way to secure a load like that is to tarp over it to prevent the wind from blowing it.
    the trailer may not have even been over loaded a hitch would have to have been mounted under the plastic bumper so when the flat happened and the trailer jerked the car one way and then the next all a driver could do would be to hang on and try to slow to a stop, but events happen all too suddenly sometimes and not everyone's driving experiences are the same if he had never had a flat or blow out before while towing a trailer he may have over corrected very easily done with small tow vehicles even large one for that matter.
    Hitting the brakes a little too hard with a tail trying to wag the dog usually does not end well. he is actually lucky the tongue of the trailer tried to lift the car as it jackknifed otherwise instead of the slight damage to the bumper the whole left rear would have been destroyed.
    The hyena as I called the guy has obviously never experienced what happened to the guy otherwise he would have kept his child sounding mouth shut and stopped to see if he could lend a hand.
    It is probably a good thing the man didn't have something in his hand and the other driver had the good sense to drive off before laughing boy got his clock cleaned.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Oct 12, 2019)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    We are only slightly missing the point that there is enough weight in the trailer to lift the back end of a car.
    perhaps its full of pies, the dood certainly looks like he couldn't have caught up to the wagon if it stopped 10 feet further down the road.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    We are only slightly missing the point that there is enough weight in the trailer to lift the back end of a car.
    perhaps its full of pies, the dood certainly looks like he couldn't have caught up to the wagon if it stopped 10 feet further down the road.
    yes it was enough to lift the back of the car however this could have been a trailer load of water with the maximum recommended tongue weight while traveling a flat tire would cause undulations or sloshing side to side which would eventually become forward to rear ward movement once the weight to the rear exceeded the neutral balance the car would be the looser. the same thing can happen hauling Pies or dirt not so mush as sloshing but the sudden sideways shift from a blow out would cause a driver to attempt to correct in the opposite direction in doing this it would cause the dirt to be shifted to a back corner if the dirt were piled up in the center, no reason to think otherwise since it was more than likely loaded by a loader but even if shoveled in it would be unlikely that anyone would have taken the time to level it out so the center mound would the thrown towards the coroner by centrifugal force as the guy whipped the steering wheel. A trailer and car that size probably had around a 100 lb max tongue weight which would mean only 1 cf of dirt would be enough to cause near neutral balance one more swing and it is all over .
    Seeing the height of whatever the load is in the trailer above the sides there is no dispute to the original post that the trailer was overloaded. and looking at the distance between the axle and the bed of the trailer it had a high center of gravity to boot.
    Estimating the size to be around 3 1/2 ft by 5 ft with 18" sides you could almost get a cubic yard in that trailer or more than 2 times the weight that those tiny little tires could carry but even half a cubic yard of dirt would weigh more than half as much as the car

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    agreed, so are we going for steak and kidney pies or dirt (cheese and onion pies), could be nearly 3/4 of a ton with thick crust

Thread Information