Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Panel plane

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Panel plane

Panel plane-6f299fdf-55dd-415f-8fed-4cdddbe5a977.jpg
    This is the third dovetailed plane I have finished.
    It is a companion to the jointer (qv).
    Here the are together
    Panel plane-8ea82da1-49f9-4888-a96f-1c95e6861555.jpg
    This panel plane is 17” long by 2+3/4” wide. The iiron is by Robert Sorby and set at 50 degree pitch, to take a fine cut on difficult tinder..
    It was all done by hand, apart from using a bench drill. I found, on assembly, it was at least 8 thou hollow, so you can imagine I had to do a lot of filing!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Jul 26, 2020), Christophe Mineau (Jul 21, 2020), Jon (Jul 23, 2020), Paul Jones (Jul 22, 2020), threesixesinarow (Jul 23, 2020), Tonyg (Jul 21, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Panel Plane to our Planes category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Very good workmanship and photos. Thank you for not putting us through yet another YouTube video when a few photos will show the workmanship and tool accomplishment. In the case of those who must make YouTube and post videos these on HMT please provide a few photos good photos and descriptions of what you did. I rarely take the time anymore to watch the HMT videos. Thank you.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

mklotz (Jul 22, 2020), Philip Davies (Jul 22, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Very good workmanship and photos. Thank you for not putting us through yet another YouTube video when a few photos will show the workmanship and tool accomplishment. In the case of those who must make YouTube and post videos these on HMT please provide a few photos good photos and descriptions of what you did. I rarely take the time anymore to watch the HMT videos. Thank you.
    I'm with you on that, Paul. I almost never watch the videos. Inevitably, they start off with pictures of each piece of raw material being fondled, then details of every cut (always with an angle grinder, never a saw), then every hole being drilled, then final assembly by welding, never with fasteners. It's only near the very end of the video that the purpose or use of the construction is revealed.

All this is accompanied by what the OP considers to be "music" - screeching, thumping tribal pounding fit only for loping barefoot around an open fire.

The telephone used to record all this is hot glued to the author's forehead so every jerk of his motion can be duly amplified and recorded.

Yeah, I don't watch many amateur videos. Finally, if the word "awesome" occurs anywhere in the submission, I add the submitter to my ignore list and move on.

Now, ask me what I really think about boobtube videos. :-)
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Jul 26, 2020), Paul Jones (Jul 25, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv, I am sure this will be controversial. I rarely watch the HMT videos. When I do watch it is at 1.75 to 2X speed, Since most have no sound.

I have a few favorite authors with their videos on YouTube (e.g., https://www.youtube.com/c/KeithRucke...geMachineryorg ). Usually only I use YouTube to find ways to fix things and over the last 15 years have saved many $10k's using the YT advice. Not good for companies trying to charge me for a service. I can buy "new old stock" at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of the new stock using eBay.

My most favorite Intenet channel is the annual paid Smithsonian subscription channel https://watch.smithsonianchannel.com/ . It is $50/year and compared to Netflix at $14/month it is so much better.

Paul

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information