Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pantogragh style tracing torch project

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    Out of idle curiosity, I spent 10 minutes looking at pipe thread tables. Both ISO & BSP have 19 tpi at that size, but I think the latter would be over13mm
    The thing about fitting sizes is to make things proprietary it seems there is always some little something which sets one type of fitting in its own category be it diameter of pitch or possibly even pitch angle. Manufactures seem to love to create their own standard of measurement sometimes combining 1 unit of measurement with another.
    It's a moot subject now since I have converted it to the US standard torch hose fitting size.

A couple years back I ran across fastener which was 5/8 12 TPI. my first thought was it had to be a 14mm bolt with a 2.125 thread. It clearly was not since a 14mm nut wouldn't even start over the bolt and a 14mm bolt was loose but bound after a few threads due to the differences in the pitch. SO I ordered the factory bolts and bought a 5/8-12 tap Like TM51 stated who knew that 12 was and odd number.

I have been building several tap and die sets with strange TPI I have a set that is all 40TPI now up to 1" 24TPI up to 1" My 12 TPI set currently goes up to 1-5/8" in 1/16" steps A lot of Hydraulic JIC fittings use the 12TPI above -12 size

Here is a good one 37°and 45° flare fittings share the same threads up to -10 or 5/8" (7/8-14) from -12 or 3/4" ( 1-1/16"-12 for the 37°)(1-1/4"-12 for the 45°)and above, the 45° fittings are 1/16" larger in diameter than their similar dash sized 37° fittings but sitll 12 TPI all the way up

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Jan 17, 2024)

Thread Information