Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pileup due to snow storm - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,888 Times in 9,939 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Feb 14, 2023), Scotty1 (Feb 14, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    could be Interstate 81 almost any year.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    so what is the main issue here? - excessive speed for visibility? loss of traction leading to reduced braking?

I know it's easy to blame idiot drivers, but for someone who never has snow in their area, I am curious as to what people SHOULD be doing when driving in it... I see people refer to snow chains, but I can't imagine they are for high speed driving
    Do the main roads people have different speed limits for snowy conditions compared to sunny dry conditions?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to desbromilow For This Useful Post:

Rangi (Feb 18, 2023)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    so what is the main issue here? - excessive speed for visibility? loss of traction leading to reduced braking?

I know it's easy to blame idiot drivers, but for someone who never has snow in their area, I am curious as to what people SHOULD be doing when driving in it... I see people refer to snow chains, but I can't imagine they are for high speed driving
    Do the main roads people have different speed limits for snowy conditions compared to sunny dry conditions?
    Rule #1 is SLOW DOWN!!!! And under the wrong circumstances, 20mph is way too fast.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Feb 14, 2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Rule #1 is SLOW DOWN!!!! And under the wrong circumstances, 20mph is way too fast.
    Most of us Canadians can drive 120 kph on a partially snow covered highway like the one in the video no problem at all, all day long...someone going twenty on the highway is usually more of a problem creator but realistically speed according skill, equipment and conditions is all that needs to be applied and you have to actually 'drive' the car and feel what is going on under you, it's a dimension of driving my southern friends have virtually no concept of and to be honest many drivers here putt around blissfully unaware while the rest of us thank god for road-salt and ABS.

The issue on highways like the one in the clip arises from one person that doesn't actually know what is going on at highway speeds in the snow but travels at that rate anyway because well heck everybody else is...and then something happens in front of them and they think they can turn and stop and put in corrections that make EVERYTHING worse.

It's quite easy to see live, you can see a situation up ahead look in your mirror and spend your time getting out of they way of the boneheads that are headed directly to the scene of their crash.

If the video is from an accident in a whiteout than my condolences, there is absolutely nothing you can do in a whiteout other than hover over the brake pedal and pray everybody in front of you is doing the same.

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Here in South Dakota, we are getting a rain/ice/snow storm right now, and that's the kind of conditions that lead to this kind of a pile up, along with idiot drivers that are going too fast for the conditions and following too close together.
    Temps today were a high of 37, and rain started. As it rained, temps dropped below freezing, creating a layer of ice on the roads. It's continuing to snow, covering up the ice. However, the ice is still there, and that's what makes for dangerous roads. ABS and 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive really don't make a difference when trying to brake... it's more about how heavy is the vehicle, speed of vehicle, tires and distance. It should be obvious that a heavy vehicle takes longer to stop, but unfortunately, people are stupid. Good tires help, but once they start to slide, it's all over. Let off the brakes a bit and steer. A rolling wheel has more friction than a sliding wheel.
    The best approach is to stay home during this type of wintery weather until the plows are out and able to clear the road and apply salt/sand. Next best approach is to slow down and keep distance between the cars in front of you to allow sufficient time to brake.

When it is much colder and snowing, then it is much less of an issue. 0F and snowing, I'm not really concerned. 31F and snowing, that's more likely to be a problem.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

mdhatter3 (Feb 14, 2023)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_3000 View Post
    Most of us Canadians can drive 120 kph on a partially snow covered highway like the one in the video no problem at all, all day long...someone going twenty on the highway is usually more of a problem creator but realistically speed according skill, equipment and conditions is all that needs to be applied and you have to actually 'drive' the car and feel what is going on under you, it's a dimension of driving my southern friends have virtually no concept of and to be honest many drivers here putt around blissfully unaware while the rest of us thank god for road-salt and ABS.

The issue on highways like the one in the clip arises from one person that doesn't actually know what is going on at highway speeds in the snow but travels at that rate anyway because well heck everybody else is...and then something happens in front of them and they think they can turn and stop and put in corrections that make EVERYTHING worse.

It's quite easy to see live, you can see a situation up ahead look in your mirror and spend your time getting out of they way of the boneheads that are headed directly to the scene of their crash.

If the video is from an accident in a whiteout than my condolences, there is absolutely nothing you can do in a whiteout other than hover over the brake pedal and pray everybody in front of you is doing the same.
    People who live/drive in conditions like that regularly are no doubt better at handling winter driving. HOWEVER! Physics doesn't care about your skills. Nor mine! I used to do crash and accident photography for high-performance fighter jets and automobiles/motorcycles. The faster you are going, when things go bad, the more you are going to get hurt. You may be able to get out of the idiot/unlucky/stupid person's way, but if you aren't the only one doing it your chances of having an accident of your own go up sharply. That is as true on the road as it is in the air. And the faster you're going, the farther you can move during that quick look in the rearview mirror. Someone can come out of nowhere and nail you dead center and there's nothing you can do about. Been there, had that done to me less than three months ago. On clean dry pavement in the very best of conditions. Boom!

Bill

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Here in West Texas, a couple maybe 3 weeks ago the mercury dropped to the high teens stayed that way overnight got up to the high 20s the next day then that night warmed up to right around freezing and started to drizzle freezing rain. we got about, half inch or a little more that night then when the sun came up well the only way you knew it was up, was to look at the clock. it started snowing. I told the wife I need to go to the hardware store but I'm not going if the snow doesn't get 4 inches deep or the sun comes out and warms op to 40 degrees for a few hours. I'll drive in snow even deep enough that I have to plow it with my front bumper. And I will drive on ice and snow mix or slick glare ice, if need be, and really don't mind it I will not drive on any of it if I have to have my wife with me though. I don't even like to drive in the rain at night with her in the truck since she can be more of a distraction that texting while driving which I never do.
    Years ago, when I ran my welding rig, I used to hear guys at the coffee shop in the mornings there might be an inch or so on the ground, say things like it never really snows in Texas back where I came from this wouldn't even be called a dusting. I'd say something like you know you are absolutely correct this is only a dusting, but it is more dangerous than that foot of snow you are used to driving in.
    Phooey you Texans don't know what you're talking about. less than an hour later I pulled him out of bar ditch.
    Bud, you didn't let me finish, it is the lack of snow that makes it more dangerous, we don't get a lot of snow, but we do get ice before the snow a lot and if you are headed back to Minnesota, you might remember you have several states to cross that get the same kind of weather we do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    4WD also gives a false sense or security also. You can make them go, but they don't stop any better. Some guys, with locking rear ends, find out very quickly it is not good to them them locked when you try to turn.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    4WD also gives a false sense or security also. You can make them go, but they don't stop any better. Some guys, with locking rear ends, find out very quickly it is not good to them them locked when you try to turn.
    It seems to be the norm for 4wd on just about everything now days. I don't particularly care for 4wd. It is great if you really need it like getting around on muddy unpaved roads or in the fields but for highway or around town driving 95% of the time it is just more gears and weight to haul around. none of my daily drivers have ever been 4wd except when I lived in Kuwait. I used the feature regularly there but only on job sights.
    the locking rears feature should never be engaged while driving if it can be avoided. Like you said steering suffers greatly.
    I detest ABS especially on Semi tractor and trailers, but realize it is a necessary evil since far too many drivers don't really know how to drive using the 6-side rule to maintain proper distances and observe, front back left right bottom and top. 90% of all car and pickup drivers today need to attend a driving course for big trucks and one of inclimate weather driving addition all city dwellers should have to learn to drive in rural areas where farm equipment rules the road. Rural folks should have to learn how to survive driving in overcrowded icongested city streets. And everyone should have to spend a few months driving in other countries around the world.

Thread Information