Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Stubborn driver drives through dense fog without headlights - GIF

  1. #1
    Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8,645
    Thanks
    1,127
    Thanked 21,502 Times in 6,947 Posts

    Stubborn driver drives through dense fog without headlights - GIF


    2000 Tool Plans

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

    WorkerB (Nov 8, 2022)

  3. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    She shouldnít be allowed to drive again. Ever. A danger to herself and others. Doesnít even know how to turn on the headlights, let alone slow down.

    186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkerB For This Useful Post:

    Inflight (Nov 12, 2022)

  5. #3
    Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    406
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 114 Times in 88 Posts
    They were doomed from the start. Fog that thick there is no safe spot unless there is the option of driving waaaaaay off the road

  6. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Totally agree.

  7. #5
    Supporting Member bob_3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    415
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 128 Times in 99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkerB View Post
    She shouldn’t be allowed to drive again.
    How are headlights possibly going to help in that situation? Are you suggesting she should be looking for light switches right then?

    She did the best she could, slow down gradually so you hopefully don't get hit from behind and hover over the brake pedal, if you don't know that than you shouldn't be on the road.

  8. #6
    Supporting Member bob_3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    415
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 128 Times in 99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickieDickie View Post
    They were doomed from the start. Fog that thick there is no safe spot unless there is the option of driving waaaaaay off the road
    Precisely, shoulder shoulder shoulder, done it many times with clenched sphincters all around.

    Fog and whiteouts, driving in Canada.

  9. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Hi Bob,
    I would expect a person driving a vehicle to be familiar with itís operation, including how to operate, among other necessary items, the headlights. She claimed that she didnít know how to turn them on!

    I think it would be beneficial as along with the headlights, the taillights are illuminated assisting those behind her to identify her vehicle. Hazard lights would also help.

    Did she really act responsibly? There appeared to still be quite some velocity involved at impact.
    Exiting the carriageway ASAP would have been better.

    Have a good day

  10. #8
    katy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Red Deer Alberta
    Posts
    172
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 100 Times in 53 Posts

    katy's Tools
    In dense fog one can see better without headlights, Bindardundat.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to katy For This Useful Post:

    Frank S (Nov 13, 2022)

  12. #9
    Supporting Member bob_3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    415
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 128 Times in 99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkerB View Post
    Did she really act responsibly? There appeared to still be quite some velocity involved at impact.
    Exiting the carriageway ASAP would have been better.

    Have a good day
    Less than ten seconds passed from when they entered the fog bank to the point of the crash, there was nothing in the world (especially not turning on the headlights or looking for the switch, which is probably what she meant by "I don't know how") that was going to change the situation, blaming the driver is just wrong.

    Have you been in that situation?

    All we do is let off the gas, hover over the brake pedal and pray everyone else is doing the same thing while we either slow to a stop on the shoulder or come out the other side of the white out or fog out.

    Claiming or thinking you can do anything else is pure folly.

  13. #10
    Supporting Member Frank S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Peacock TX
    Posts
    9,942
    Thanks
    1,534
    Thanked 7,701 Times in 3,721 Posts

    Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_3000 View Post
    Less than ten seconds passed from when they entered the fog bank to the point of the crash, there was nothing in the world (especially not turning on the headlights or looking for the switch, which is probably what she meant by "I don't know how") that was going to change the situation, blaming the driver is just wrong.

    Have you been in that situation?

    All we do is let off the gas, hover over the brake pedal and pray everyone else is doing the same thing while we either slow to a stop on the shoulder or come out the other side of the white out or fog out.

    Claiming or thinking you can do anything else is pure folly.
    If you have ever traveled across Arkansas at night in a truck or car for that matter, you know that fog can appear out of nowhere Not just Arkansas but most anywhere if the conditions are right. You are absolutely correct, off the gas hover the brake pedal, try to get as far to the side as you slow. if you can warn others with Hazzard lights if you cannot see beyond the end of your hood no one else can either. Not only fog but extremely hard rain, snow, Smoke from a fire, or a dust storm. When you can't see where you are going you might as well be trying to drive using a white cane for all the good it will do you, and you don't always have time to do much of anything, let alone fumble for a switch. Try locating the correct switch in a Semi, none of them are ever in the same place from make to make or even model to model and there can be a dozen of them scattered all over



    186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •