Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Plane conversion- scraper plane from Stanley smoother

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Plane conversion- scraper plane from Stanley smoother

Plane conversion- scraper plane from Stanley smoother-3314edc3-8b25-4f9c-b3e7-7d643ca7afee.jpg
    This started as a smoothing plane I’d retrieved lacking handles, irons etc, and I already have more than one already.
    Plane conversion- scraper plane from Stanley smoother-abf1c5d6-7fbe-4f28-a1a4-5a341e1178d5.jpg
    I thought I would use the existing frog as the basis for adjustment, so I made a plate to screw on to the back of the scraper frog, which is the main part of the conversion
    Plane conversion- scraper plane from Stanley smoother-8cefb11e-39d0-40c4-ac92-a8ce06e6ea6b.jpg

The idea was to make a bridge to hold the blade down on the frog and have a central screw to flex the blade, hence the threaded insert. However, this proves unnecessary. The frog I made has a slight camber which gives sufficient rigidity, when the bridge is bolted down.
    Plane conversion- scraper plane from Stanley smoother-3132d6cf-54e7-47eb-86e7-777ce465b7ab.jpg
    Here you see the blade, bridge and other bits.
    Although I am satisfied with the result, a disadvantage is that, to sharpen the blade, I must unscrew the bolts on the bridge and the redundant central screw, and to do that, I must also remove the front tote! However, I think that I shall cut down an Allen key to access the bridge screws, and make a couple more blades, simple T shapes, without the slots. I am glad that the adjustment works satisfactorily, because although I could increase the depth of cut with a tap from a hammer, there’s no other way of retracting it.
    I might just add that I made a batch of 6 totes, because I have a couple of other planes to restore, and couldn’t be sure of the fit. This one is a bit large, but comfortable.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Philip Davies; Sep 22, 2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Add picture

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Jon (Sep 22, 2019), threesixesinarow (Sep 27, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Scraper Plane to our Planes category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information