Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Polishing wood with Boiled linseed oil

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Re: Wood density. Have you ever considered any of the sealing epoxies? Cutlers use various kinds to stabilise handle scales.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Nice Bike in avatar!
    I know that some cutlers use the epoxy with a sort of pressurized vessel to create handles with burl, micarta or other materials. Talking about wood it could help probably to preserve the surface from use, or fill burl imperfections. It would be curious to know if the epoxy could penetrate a lot in the wood to add stability, but I think it's not an easy thing to do at home, above all with such size. I have few experience with epoxy and pe resin, basically glue use or fairing repair, I was thinking to try it as external finishing due to high polish effect, but I think it's not easy to have a smooth and bubblefree surface. Here, another trouble is to find "fresh" products, in local shop it's very easy to find old and expired resin and paints.

About speaker box, I've never had troubles of leakings, I usually like Pva glue for wood, if the assembly is correct and the parts are well cut there is no trouble. I found also an interesting glue, the "no more nails" type is pretty good in case of emergency repair, I used to seal a damaged friend's speaker with good results.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Seems I recall being labeled 'impregnation'. Wonder now is; are those methods pressurized or evacuated?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    I've often wondered, since more density for enclosure material is generally recommended, what speakers would sound like in concrete or granite enclosures but it probably wouldn't sound good at all. You refer to the friend who used a dense "sandwich" material and the bass sounded quite dry. I suppose the cabinet material does have to respond and improve the sound. I have an older pair of KLH tower speakers along with a pair of Dayton Audio 6 1/2" AIR bookshelf speakers with AMT tweeters and a Yamaha 100 watt per channel receiver and it sounds awesome to me. One of your drivers probably costs more than my whole setup. KLH went out of business but now they're back and They are a little pricey. Mine were inexpensive but I've been very pleased with them.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    I answered your reply to me but it showed up on another thread for some reason. That's the second time that has happened to me. If you didn't get it let me know and I'll get it to you.

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    I give up.

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    I see the last three posts, it should be fine! It could be that they moved the post in another section probably.
    I'm still having a problem with the picture uploader, probably some trouble with the forum.

I'm glad you like Hifi and speakers, it's not common here! These little fullranges are quite expensive, like other models of the same brand I tried, but interesting compared to what offers the fullrange market but not all roses and flowers. The real game is the tuning of filters and eq the room. I Like the Amt!, I would like to have one in the future. I think it's good to be satisfied with a speaker, usually audiophiles are always searching and trying something else, out of curiosity or like a game.
    I found very important the tuning of crossover and filters, even with low price or normal speakers, I found many commercial products without compensation for baffle step for example, or wrong freq cuts, with the right tuning it's possible to achive remarkable result, in many cases a completely different speaker than the stock one.

About plaster and concrete, I tried in the past building "compact" front horns for compression drivers, not bad material at all for this purpose

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information