Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Portable hydraulic shrinker stretcher

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Classic Bodywork's Tools

Portable hydraulic shrinker stretcher

Hi, this is a new tool I've made recently, I wanted a portable version of the shrinker stretcher and thought hydraulics might be the solution over leverage. Initial tests are positive but trials over time will reveal any weaknesses. Thanks Ben
    PORTABLE Homemade Hydraulic Shrinker Stretcher, Car Restoration Tool, classic car

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Classic Bodywork For This Useful Post:

clydeman (Oct 13, 2023), dietmar g (Oct 16, 2023), DIYer (Oct 14, 2023), Duke_of_URL (Dec 28, 2023), Frank S (Oct 13, 2023), Inner (Oct 20, 2023), Jon (Oct 13, 2023), jrouche (Oct 20, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Oct 19, 2023), piper184 (Oct 20, 2023), rlm98253 (Oct 20, 2023), tonyfoale (Oct 24, 2023), uv8452 (Oct 15, 2023)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Replace the hand pump with an electric unit like the type used for pump trailers and you'll get the work done quicker...

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Classic Bodywork's Tools
    Yes, I have got an electric hydraulic unit and could connect it up. It will definitely speed it up which could increase its usefulness. 👍

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Since it is obvious you are well versed in the dynamics of mechanical advantages, strengths and stresses of materials. I will take as guess that you are equally as well versed in flow speeds. An electric hydraulic pump was mentioned like ones used for dump trailers these would have too high a flow rate to be practical for this application. their max pressure would not be sufficient either. the port-a-power hand pumps have a max output PSI rating of 10,000 PSI or 689.47bar. while most electric units have only 2,500 PSI. 172.37bar. However, there are electric and pneumatic pump units designed for this application Enerpac is one such name brand. I prefer the pneumatic pumps for field work since I always have an air compressor plus they are less expensive. I like the electric units for bench work,
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Classic Bodywork's Tools
    Excellent comment Frank S, the electric hydraulic unit I've got is from an old sausage machine, I can't remember what psi the pump produces, the flow rate is probably not controllable enough despite a variable valve.
    The point of this machine is not to replace the purely mechanical hand shrinker stretcher. You won't beat the speed/ controllability of that tool. The advantage of the hydraulic version I've built is versatility and portability, speed wasn't a design factor because it's potential use is relatively small for a car body restorer. It will probably only get used a handful of times during a complete body restoration. There could of course be other applications I hadn't thought of yet to which a powered version might be a benefit.
    The Pullmax with shrinker stretcher would be the quickest way to shrink or stretch sheet metal but that is of course the least portable option.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic Bodywork For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Oct 13, 2023), rlm98253 (Oct 20, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks Classic Bodywork! We've added your Portable Shrinker Stretcher to our Autobody category,
    as well as to your builder page: Classic Bodywork's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Last edited by Jon; Mar 15, 2024 at 08:19 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Classic Bodywork (Oct 14, 2023)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,861 Times in 11,344 Posts
    Congratulations Classic Bodywork - your Portable Shrinker Stretcher is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

This is a well thought-out shrinker stretcher, and it's good to see that homemade hacksaw attachment in action building it.

Some more good builds from this week:

Kiridashi Knife by Mazay
    Modular Fixture System by Mook
    Bandsaw Outrigger Table by Improvised DIY
    Engine Crane by th62
    Drill Guide by dgbreggin
    Vise by Kwandotechnic

Classic Bodywork - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. And, you'll now notice the wrench-on-pedestal award in the awards showcase in your postbit, visible beneath your username:

And, you'll be receiving a $100 cash prize, in your choice of Amazon (US-only), PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and prize choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Nice work!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Classic Bodywork's Tools
    Wow, thanks so much, that's really great, didn't expect that at all. What a great community and website this is.
    PayPal would be great and my email is btdixey@hotmail.com
    Thanks again Ben

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Cool Another idea for your hydraulic shrinker

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Bodywork View Post
    Hi, this is a new tool I've made recently, I wanted a portable version of the shrinker stretcher and thought hydraulics might be the solution over leverage. Initial tests are positive but trials over time will reveal any weaknesses. Thanks Ben
    PORTABLE Homemade Hydraulic Shrinker Stretcher, Car Restoration Tool, classic car
    Some time ago, I made a remote pop rivet tool by cutting the head off an air pop rivet tool and connecting the rivet pulling head to the air cylinder with a hydraulic hose, after bleeding out it works well. you might try that approach using the air hydraulic cylinder to drive the stretcher or shrinker. this will allow rapid application of the jaws in succession. Give it a try, I might do the same although I do not have a need for a shrinker or stretcher. i might find one, though!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Classic Bodywork's Tools
    Hi, nice idea yes it would allow fast application I'll have to research how the air pop riveter works as I don't know. Do you know what force it can apply ?

Thread Information