Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: power hammer

Thanks

power hammer

Was wondering if anyone has built a power hammer for blacksmithing? If so any help would be greatly appreciated.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    have built a 70 pounder and a 7 pounder, air operated

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    thank you for replying i was wondering if you have any blueprints or maybe certain videos you recommend to help me build it. the ones you built will be perfect thank you for the help

Thanks
    no drawings or video........but ask me any question

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Saw this idea somewhere and it seemed like a good idea to me at the time. Use a Jack Hammer air or electric perhaps. Mount it rigidly and vertically in a heavy frame. Weld or otherwise fit a hammer/big lump to the business end. Provide a decent anvil block underneath it to hammer on, and away you go. Have no idea how hard it would hit or how fast it would hammer or how controllable it would be, but the idea sounded simple, relatively cheap, and a lot easier than sorting out hydraulic rams and or leaf spring designs. Also don't know if a jack hammer would damage itself if unable to rebound as it normally does against a human operator. My thoughts are that it would be OK for small items like knife blades but not so good on a bulldozer blade.

Thanks
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=45993&noquote=1
    There is a Power Hammer and Plans on this site: The Wizard's Forge... thewizardsforge@aol.com

20# Pound Hammer RUSTY 1/2 HP Motor, 50# Pound Hammer Dusty, Super Rusty 1 1/2 HP Motor

Jerry Allen, 111 Greenbrier Drive, Lost Creek, West Virginia 26385-7088 304 -745 -3886

Thanks

will52100's Tools
    I've built a "Rusty", was not impressed, slow, poor control and didn't hit hard. I wanted to build a Clay Spencer tire hammer, but every time he was having a build I was on the water overseas. I finally managed to find one for sale and snapped it up. A buddy of mine looked at mine and copied it and has been very happy with it. It uses a spare tire for the clutch, and basically a copy of the Dupont little giant linkage. I am pretty sure Clay has plans available now, but if you can get the pivot hole to pivot hole measurements from a 50 pound little giant you can figure everything else out.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information