Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Power Tapping

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Well waddya know. I just got into that motor and found that both leads from the starting winding are brought outside so I can wire in a reversing switch and that will allow many more choices for a tapping head.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Aug 25, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Aug 25, 2020)

Thanks
    I have what we used to call studder chucks... there gear reduction units we used in hand drills for reaming out valve guides for installing new guide liners, I ferget the name on them but I do remember one of them saying taping head....witch got me to I suppose it could be used for that....that may be the original application for them. Ill have to try it some day .they free wheel till you stop one portion.Im not sure but I reckon if you stop the other portion and let the first one spin it reverses. there is no internal clutch, just gears. I dont know if the one that says tapping head works the same or not, but they all look the same about 2.250" dia aluminum about 3"" long. Ill have to find them someday and see.I do think the "taping head one does operate a little different...or it could just be wore out more. I dont remember the make of them...or where there at. for our application they had a aluminum handle attached to them with piviot points so they were just a gear reduction unit fro driving reamers.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    That's similar to the way that my Supreme Push/Pull tapper works - you hold one end to advance and the other end to retract but the quill handle has to have downward force on it or the tapper goes into center position neutral. It works good in a hand drill but in a drill press not so much. Now that I have a reverse on my drill press I don't have to look for a reversing tapping head so many more choices are available but most are too long overall so I may just stick to searching for drill press tappers which hopefully are shorter in length. That Hardinge which TM mentioned would also work now but I'd like to have gear reduction for tapping and maybe even torque limiting because broken taps have ruined a number of my days.

Thanks
    yes broken taps can make a nice day stink all to hell sometimes.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I'm not 100 successful with the 'Search' function, summoning up tags words is iffy too...
    But these tap driving posts by homeengineer, JJRs and others address main issues. Tuomas's [1st one] is that spring modded clutch project I referred to earlier.

"Clutch" for a drill press. To drill and tap smaller holes.

Tapping fixture and auto reversing tapping head

Tapmatic power tapper for 10 bucks. Not quite but close.

Using a friction clutched tapping head for threading bolts/studs etc.

Broken taps? Yes, I do too. No one in my area advertises tap erosion, never saw one in a shop hereabouts either...The DIY versions work, but not 100% dependable, labor intensive, often tying up a machine as well.
    Anyway, hauling a good sized Electro Arc back to be 1st call in that niche. I may offer burning to supporting HMTer's for cost; shipping, electrode portion, and electrolytic solution.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Aug 25, 2020 at 03:04 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    yes the tapmatic taping head you list is what I have ,I think probably 2 diferent versions. they are quite wonkey when worn.but like everything else a little work and back to good condition.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    That "tapmatic" in the article is interesting but it is no where near a real Tapmatic (and they're priced accordingly).

Thanks
    yes I know Ive used real tapmatic's.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I just made a low ball offer to a guy on Ebay for a Greenfield tapping head and he accepted. Looks like I'm set up for smaller power threading now.

Thanks
    I dont send low ball offers, I send offer that I can/am willing to pay. if they call it a low ball offer then they have their stuff priced to high and want it more than I do. there will always be more. bidding wars are great for the seller but usualy not so good for the buyer, sometimes they are a good deal. I buy most of my stuff off flebay at great deals. it seems most of the high priced make offer sellers have the high price just incase they have a moron with tomuch $$ in his/her pocket wanting it...witch runs off real buyers that need it. and as a result they sit on many items too long. but a low priced right offer usually will buy it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 26, 2020)

Thread Information