Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Power window mechanism - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,806 Times in 9,914 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

johncg (Feb 26, 2022), NortonDommi (Feb 26, 2022), nova_robotics (Feb 26, 2022), Rangi (Feb 25, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Power windows have been around since I was a young boy, and I still don't like them to me they make about as much sense as automatic door locks on a convertible with the top down

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Power windows have been around since I was a young boy, and I still don't like them to me they make about as much sense as automatic door locks on a convertible with the top down
    I'm, currently, right in the middle of repairing the driver's side window regulator on my Yukon for the 4th time... gettin' pretty good at it. Problem with this vehicle is that the window freezes to the guides in freeze/thaw weather without evidence it is frozen. Then, when trying to run the window down the rubber grippers at the lower edge of the window pull free, thus disengaging the regulator from the glass. This time the grippers ripped apart, and replacements are not available, so one has to replace the entire regulator system in order to get new grippers. Not keen on spending $80 to obtain $3 of parts, so I'm using a work-around to get new grippers. Slathered Flex-Paste on positions where original rubber grippers used to be, and am waiting for it to cure before putting regulator back in vehicle. Learned my lesson... I will not attempt to operate window in the future, unless temperature is above freezing.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Though I agree about power windows, it is the wing window I miss, the ability to direct airflow from a slight draw to an all out blast. Power windows brought their demise. It's cheaper to manufacture a single unit than to build and install an assembly.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to neilbourjaily For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Feb 26, 2022)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Power on the passenger side is handy with driver control.
    Wing windows. Yes. I have them on my old Bedford and very useful. I also like fold up windscreens.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by neilbourjaily View Post
    Though I agree about power windows, it is the wing window I miss, the ability to direct airflow from a slight draw to an all out blast. Power windows brought their demise. It's cheaper to manufacture a single unit than to build and install an assembly.
    With the advent (no pun intended) of AC the wing window was outmoded. I, too, miss the wing, even though it did provide some excitement when a bumblebee used it for access to the passenger compartment.

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Not including any computerized controls, they're still smaller, lighter, cheaper, and allow for the controls to be located anywhere about the cabin. Centrally-located controls also reduce the number in unique parts required, since the driver's side doesn't need a gang of switches. Adding a central computer the advantages increase.

Neil

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Gadgeteer (Feb 26, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    Not including any computerized controls, they're still smaller, lighter, cheaper, and allow for the controls to be located anywhere about the cabin. Centrally-located controls also reduce the number in unique parts required, since the driver's side doesn't need a gang of switches. Adding a central computer the advantages increase.

Neil
    Just more electric and electronic baggage cluttering up the vehicle, which by in large is designed to fail long before the vehicle's powertrain warranty expires.
    There is not a single thing my bud's $50k. 2022 F250 pickup can do work wise that my $300.00 1991 F250 can't do, and I get better fuel mileage with a larger engine.
    His has already had 2 dealer and 1 factory recall 2 of which are window related. It seems that the factory says if a door is accidently slammed shut with all the windows all the way up it can pop out the windshield
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    ...it can pop out the windshield
    Now, that's funny.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information