Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Protection of open enclosure Baldor motor

Thanks

tmate3's Tools

Protection of open enclosure Baldor motor

A TEFC motor would obviously be best for my little bandsaw conversion project. However, I found a virtually new 3/4 hp, 1,725 rpm, open enclosure Baldor motor for $80. I'm replacing the little 1/3 hp open enclosure motor that's been on the saw for the last 35 years. Now the problem arises as to how best to keep the chips away from it in its new position relative to the saw.

I thought maybe I would make a cover out of sheetmetal or plywood that would extend up both ends of the motor and over the top. This would at least keep chips from landing on it, and shield the belt and pulleys as well. The top of the cover could extend a bit under the table surface. There would still be plenty of circulation around the motor.

Steel chips are heavier than grinder dust or sawdust, and I'm hoping they are too heavy to be sucked into the motor if they are kept away from the ends.

The whole set-up will sit on a 10" x 20" piece of 1/4" steel plate and the brackets supporting the saw, table support tube, and the motor will be welded in place. The cardboard table template will be replaced by 1/4" steel plate. The square tube supporting the table can be slid forward to gain access to the wheels and blade.

Any advice other than get a TEFC motor?

Protection of open enclosure Baldor motor-img_4694.jpg Protection of open enclosure Baldor motor-img_4695.jpg Protection of open enclosure Baldor motor-img_4698.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tmate3 View Post
    A TEFC motor would obviously be best for my little bandsaw conversion project. However, I found a virtually new 3/4 hp, 1,725 rpm, open enclosure Baldor motor for $80. I'm replacing the little 1/3 hp open enclosure motor that's been on the saw for the last 35 years. Now the problem arises as to how best to keep the chips away from it in its new position relative to the saw.

I thought maybe I would make a cover out of sheetmetal or plywood that would extend up both ends of the motor and over the top. This would at least keep chips from landing on it, and shield the belt and pulleys as well. The top of the cover could extend a bit under the table surface. There would still be plenty of circulation around the motor.

Steel chips are heavier than grinder dust or sawdust, and I'm hoping they are too heavy to be sucked into the motor if they are kept away from the ends.

The whole set-up will sit on a 10" x 20" piece of 1/4" steel plate and the brackets supporting the saw, table support tube, and the motor will be welded in place. The cardboard table template will be replaced by 1/4" steel plate. The square tube supporting the table can be slid forward to gain access to the wheels and blade.

Any advice other than get a TEFC motor?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4694.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	45030 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4695.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	45031 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4698.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	45032
    Use some filter material over the vents, and perhaps put a small fan in there to blowing cooling air over the motor. That's my plan for my bandsaw, anyway. I have one similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-C.../dp/B009OWVUJ0 Though I may use that on my HF flux-core wire welder, instead and use the squirrel cage blower my FIL gave me for that. It's open on both sides of the fan, and would need a pair of filters. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Brand-Co.../dp/B08F268Q4M Or they make fibreglass filter material that is similar in size and shape.

Bill

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    I had wondered what you were using the motor for. Before you go too much further, drain the gearbox and fill it with a good grease. Those 4x6 bandsaws will eventually chew up their gears when used vertically because they don't pick up the oil very well in that position.
    You can cut a couple circles out of a cheap furnace filter and secure them to the ends of the motor with large hose clamps or cable ties. It won't be pretty, but will keep most of the dust out. There shouldn't be any overheating issues unless it's run hard for several hours.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Arrange a baffle, preferably angled on top to help direct chips away from where you don't want them to go. Could be nearly simple as a cardboard box to work out proportions, hanging over one edge allowing entry of air, from underneath. A covered vent, ducting flow from a muffin fan (pushing out), insures fan has sufficient flow, if desired.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

tmate3's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Arrange a baffle, preferably angled on top to help direct chips away from where you don't want them to go. Could be nearly simple as a cardboard box to work out proportions, hanging over one edge allowing entry of air, from underneath. A covered vent, ducting flow from a muffin fan (pushing out), insures fan has sufficient flow, if desired.
    Here's the finished saw, with a protective box over the motor:

Attachment 45061 Protection of open enclosure Baldor motor-4x6b.jpg Protection of open enclosure Baldor motor-4x6c.jpg Protection of open enclosure Baldor motor-4x6d.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Protection of open enclosure Baldor motor-4x6a.jpg  
    Last edited by tmate3; Mar 1, 2023 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    No question, that'll work. Plus no specific maintenance requirements.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information