Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: A quick tap to save the day and keep the mites away

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Eagle_view's Tools

A quick tap to save the day and keep the mites away

Since we can only have 10 photos, understandably, I will submit two tools today so please also look at the Bee Mite Vaporizer tool that I built this tap for. Long story short I needed a 10x1MM tap for a Glow Plug in an aluminum block for a Varroa Mite vaporizer that I was building. Here is how I did it when now could be found close by. I bought 2 10x1x40MM Hex headed bolts when the Hardware Store did not have the tap I needed. I used an old trick to make a single flute tap from a bolt

A quick tap to save the day and keep the mites away-028.jpg A quick tap to save the day and keep the mites away-030.jpg A quick tap to save the day and keep the mites away-031.jpg
    Quickly setting the bolt in the Mill/drill vise, I cut a groove down right hand side, The raised letters on the head were causing me trouble so I went to the lathe and machined the head flat and while there also tapered the thread end.

A quick tap to save the day and keep the mites away-036.jpg A quick tap to save the day and keep the mites away-037.jpg A quick tap to save the day and keep the mites away-040.jpg
    Back to the mill and deepened the groove, changing the angle so that I had more than a 90 degree opening for a flute.

A quick tap to save the day and keep the mites away-042.jpg A quick tap to save the day and keep the mites away-043.jpg A quick tap to save the day and keep the mites away-044.jpg
    I filed off the secondary edge of the groove and then using a 17MM ratchet wrench started the thread. It took a mild blow on the tap head with a mallet for the tap to catch well enough to start the thread. We went right down the whole 5/8 of an inch that I needed. The threads looked and worked well. This is an easy way out of a bind that can stop a project. Grade 8 bolts can be used for a couple of threaded holes in mild steel.

Hope this will help some of you get your project done.

Lowell

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eagle_view For This Useful Post:

Jon (Aug 4, 2015), kbalch (Aug 4, 2015), Paul Jones (Aug 4, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanks Eagle_view! I've added your Tap to our Tapping and Threading category, as well as to your builder page: Eagle_view's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information