Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The quickest way I know how to clock up a machine vice

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

The quickest way I know how to clock up a machine vice

Hi All
    I thought I would share this video with you on the way I clock up a vice. I hope once you have watched it anybody having any issues with this fundamental part of milling will be able to try this simple, quick, and accurate method to help speed up set up times. This method works on all types of set ups.
    One quick note before clamping any tool or component to a machine table ensure all mating faces are clean and the tee slots are clear of any swarf. This will increase the accuracy of setting the machine up and prevent any damage. Hope you enjoy the video and I am not showing you how to suck eggs.

Thank you again for your interest in my post
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

bigtrev8xl (May 30, 2018), BuffaloJohn (Feb 17, 2022), IAMSatisfied (Jan 26, 2018), NortonDommi (Feb 17, 2022), Papa Bill (Jan 27, 2018), Paul Jones (Jan 26, 2018), Ralphxyz (Sep 25, 2022), RetiredFAE (Jan 17, 2024), Seedtick (Jan 25, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jan 26, 2018), tooly (May 29, 2018)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Thanks, I need to do this for a new vice I got.

Ralph

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Vise Clocking Method to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Yup, same way this side of the pond!
    thehomeengineer shows a bar in the vise and only travels to approximate center of vise [over the center post]. That's all the travel needed for the first few checks. Going all the way across doubles the TIR without any benefit; if the right side is off, so is the left! Always amused watching guys traverse full right and left, especially if there doesn't happen to be power feed, lol.

A few I'll tease with some racing parlance wisecrack about "you collecting lap money?", that an indicator or tachometer, ZIP Codes, if you travel any farther pick up lunch, etc.
    It's fun being the old guy!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

BuffaloJohn (Feb 17, 2022), Frank S (Jan 27, 2018), Paul Jones (Jan 27, 2018)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Toolmaker51
    Really like the jibes very funny, typical engineer humour and banter.
    Thank you for the good explanation which will help improve the thread. I am a server dyslexic so do struggle with expressing myself in words both written and verbal. It’s not an issue to me and I would rather people know so if I do a really mess-up people understand why.
    Doing the videos, I have just started or posting on here just takes a bit of time. Thank heavens for Microsoft word. (mind you I can even confuse the spell checker lol) So thank you for the great reply to this post.
    The Home Engineer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 27, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I can definitely relate to causing spell checker going into meltdown, particularly when it applies to mechanical terms.
    Toolmaker 51's comment about lap money lunch and zip codes, brings to mind a time I hired a young man whose union was out on strike. He worked in a machine shop that did aerospace work. He had never worked around older worn machines and my old Bridgeport fit that category x 10. It should have been relegated to the museum of abused antiquities 30 years before I acquired it. However I knew where the sweet spots were to achieve the results I needed for the things we made. Those being at either end of the table travel . Bob however didn't know this so one day he was doing a set up in the vice and was trying to get it trammed in right in the center of the table. I seen him spinning the wheels back and forth again and again., which had gone on for quite some time. Finally I asked him if he was going to run the job or wear the handles off the hand wheels. I CAN"T GET IT TO REPEAT 2 times in a row he yelled. Well why not mount the vice at either end of the table and try that just use one of the 12 inch parallels clamp in in the vice zero off the center run it to the left or the right 1 time tap it to zero tighten the vice down and run the job .002" is close enough for what you are doing. If you keep on the way you are going I'm going to have to pay air miles for the job.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

BuffaloJohn (Feb 17, 2022), Paul Jones (Jan 27, 2018), thehomeengineer (Jan 27, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jan 27, 2018)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    In our workshop we had a brand-new rotary table and the very first job someone drilled 9 holes into it. (I was gutted as it was less than a week old) anyway after a bit of investigation I found out who caused the damage. The guy said he didn’t realise he had done it. When I looked at the job he had machined on the rotary table it was an 18-hole bolted flange. So, a bit tongue in cheek I said to him “did you not go deep enough on the other 9 holes”.
    The Home Engineer

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 27, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jan 27, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    In our workshop we had a brand-new rotary table and the very first job someone drilled 9 holes into it. (I was gutted as it was less than a week old) anyway after a bit of investigation I found out who caused the damage. The guy said he didn’t realise he had done it. When I looked at the job he had machined on the rotary table it was an 18-hole bolted flange. So, a bit tongue in cheek I said to him “did you not go deep enough on the other 9 holes”.
    The Home Engineer
    OUCH!
    I've mentioned before; observation that such things plague those who haven't spent THEIR or serious money on equipment.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jan 27, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    The Home Engineer
    9 holes in one in a single round but wasn't quite up to par on the other 9 Eh? That's bad. Back in the day I would have gone Hiroshima and Nagasaki on him.
    Some folks just should never be left alone around complicated machinery.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jan 27, 2018)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    I like it Frank

Thread Information