Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Recumbent trike.

Thanks

th62's Tools

Recumbent trike.

Here’s my latest recumbent trike build, this is the 10th recumbent I've built. Suspension has nine evenly spaced settings and works really well, smooths out bumps and potholes exceptionally well. Centrepoint and Ackerman steering. I opted for stable steering at speed, so no tight turning circles. 700c wheel at the rear, 20” wheels at the front and hydraulic brakes. Cycle parts are Shimano Deore and brakes Tektro hydraulic disks, courtesy of my MTB I can no longer ride. Chain droop is managed by four idlers I turned up on the lathe fitted with two 8x22mm bearing which lift the chain free of the rear forks Seat is 3mm aluminium shaped to follow the shape of my back for a comfortable ride. Shocky is from an MTB. Main frame is 32mm tubing with forks made from 35mm x 20mm tubing.. I have added a rack at the rear and a water bottle holder is fitted at front with tubing to the seat area, culminating in an adjustable plastic hose. Toe in is handled by a 6mm rod threaded right/left hand thread so one only has to turn clockwise to bring toe in and anti clockwise to bring toe out, then lock off with locknut. Brake caliper mounts are welded to the steering arms and attached to steering levers via short threaded rods and tie rod ends. I’ve reversed the gear levers so the left side handles the 9 speed cluster and the right the three speed front cogs. Camber is two degrees, and caster the same. Wheelbase is 120cm and track is 79cm. weight is 19kgs, wet. About the same as an MTB. Very happy with this, the eight trike I’ve built, each one gets better than the last, the suspension is the biggest leap forward along with lever steering, I’d never build a trike without these two additions now, they make riding so much more enjoyable. Just one of my hobbies. Despite PsA destroying my hands and using them causing unbelievable pain, one must continue with what one likes to do. Just takes me a hundred times longer to do anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Recumbent trike.-finished.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to th62 For This Useful Post:

baja (Jun 16, 2020), olderdan (Jun 15, 2020), Scully (Jun 16, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    That is an impressive build and respect to you for working though your health problems, many would call it a day.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

th62's Tools
    Some build pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Recumbent trike.-18.jpg   Recumbent trike.-1.jpg   Recumbent trike.-14.jpg   Recumbent trike.-8.jpg   Recumbent trike.-2.jpg  

Recumbent trike.-4.jpg   Recumbent trike.-5.jpg   Recumbent trike.-9.jpg   Recumbent trike.-12.jpg   Recumbent trike.-13.jpg  

Recumbent trike.-pulleys.jpg   Recumbent trike.-seat.jpg   Recumbent trike.-pull.jpg   Recumbent trike.-front.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by th62; Jun 18, 2020 at 01:39 AM.

Thread Information