Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Recutting My Bandsaw’s Flip Up Table Blade Slot

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Recutting My Bandsaw’s Flip Up Table Blade Slot

My 4x6 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw is fitted with a flip-down table. The slot in this table that passes the blade was a little oversized. It did work ok for all but the smallest pieces of metal which would get sucked down the slot. Then I attempted to “improve” my saw, and the slot got a lot bigger. Then larger pieces of metal were being sucked down the slot. It was time for repair. My new slot is precisely in the right place, is a close fit (maybe too close), and no measuring was done.

If you are interested, please see

https://rick.sparber.org/RecuttingBa...lipUpTable.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

benkeller3 (Apr 29, 2020), Jon (May 3, 2020), Seedtick (Apr 29, 2020), will52100 (Apr 29, 2020)

Thanks

will52100's Tools
    The only concern would be the JB letting go, but if you did the prep work rite then it should hold for that. I wouldn't worry about opening the slot up any, the blade will do that on it's own. I need to cut a new aluminum disk for my vertical bandsaw. It's got a cast iron table with aluminum insert for the blade area and after a number of years the slot is huge.

2000 Tool Plans
    courtneyknives.net

4. The Following User Says Thank You to will52100 For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (Apr 29, 2020)

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by will52100 View Post
    The only concern would be the JB letting go, but if you did the prep work rite then it should hold for that. I wouldn't worry about opening the slot up any, the blade will do that on it's own. I need to cut a new aluminum disk for my vertical bandsaw. It's got a cast iron table with aluminum insert for the blade area and after a number of years the slot is huge.
    You have given me a good "plan B". If the JB Weld doesn't hold, I can mill out a recess and make an aluminum disk with a slot in it. Since I often lift up the table, the disk would need to be secured.

Thanks,

Rick
    Rick

Thanks

Rikk's Tools
    The only think I could think of that might make it better, should you make it from steel/aluminum, is if you filed the slot a touch wider for the depth of the teeth. My thoughts are, if you are putting any twist into the blade when cutting, you might have a tendency to remove the "set" from the teeth and get bad cuts or possibly a wandering cut. Not sure if this would be the case, but a little clearance might prevent that.

Cheers

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks rgsparber! We've added your Bandsaw Slot Repair to our Bandsaws category,
    as well as to your builder page: rgsparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    The only think I could think of that might make it better, should you make it from steel/aluminum, is if you filed the slot a touch wider for the depth of the teeth. My thoughts are, if you are putting any twist into the blade when cutting, you might have a tendency to remove the "set" from the teeth and get bad cuts or possibly a wandering cut. Not sure if this would be the case, but a little clearance might prevent that.

Cheers
    I've been living with this mod for a few days and see that the teeth have widened the slot a little. The JB Weld is no match for the bandsaw teeth.

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Rikk (May 3, 2020)

Thread Information