Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Refurbishing brake rotors - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,258 Times in 9,724 Posts

Refurbishing brake rotors - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (May 27, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Those vanes look pretty clean for old rotors.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I am puzzled what is "Refurbishing brake rotors - GIF-screen-shot-2023-05-27-6.14.35-am.png. " At first I thought it may be a professional filming company, but a quick search for that did not yield any results.

If that is an old rotor that has been cleaned, recut and modified, perhaps removing that much material from the hub could be risky. I could be a new, cheap rotor that is being re-cut But cannot know from the video what is really happening.

There is money to be made doing modifications to cheap parts. $20.55 vs $150.00.
    Refurbishing brake rotors - GIF-screen-shot-2023-05-27-6.40.14-am.pngRefurbishing brake rotors - GIF-screen-shot-2023-05-27-6.39.41-am.png

Don't even get me started on ridiculous tire/wheel/vehicle combinations for street use.
    Refurbishing brake rotors - GIF-screen-shot-2023-05-27-6.47.10-am.png

It is one thing if you are really a racer and know the advantages and disadvantages of modifications and after market modifications, tt is quite an other to just have too much money to spend one expensive parts than actually make your vehicle less safe on real roads. Few guys on the street have any clue how changing tire profiles affects their suspension and handling.

Real race cars use real tires and wheels.
    Name:  real race tires.png
Views: 727
Size:  74.8 KB

But I digress...
    Too bad the "professional filmers" cannot spell.

I know, I may not be one to mention proper "speeling" as I often make mistakes also. But I also don't mind being corrected.

"Bad speelers of the world, untie!!"

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post

Don't even get me started on ridiculous tire/wheel/vehicle combinations for street use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 6.47.10 AM.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	45524

Real race cars use real tires and wheels.
    Name:  real race tires.png
Views: 727
Size:  74.8 KB
    Sadly 'style' over function has become the norm, travelling at the weekend I was passed by two VW T5 van's, both lowered and on rubber band (very low profile) tyres, watching them pitch and yaw on the minute surface undulations you don't notice in any normal vehicle I had to wonder if the passengers suffered from motion sickness, and the drivers from fatigue. This morning two VW T6's passed, one standard height, the other being a synchro several inches taller on AT's along the same stretch of road, neither exhibited any pitching riding smoothly over the undulations. I was considering buying a T5 to convert into a day-van/micro camper, but with so many in the VW scene making their rides dangerous, and driving like total dicks, I don't want to be associated with them, nor the massively increased insurance costs they're creating.

My current vehicle, a L/R D3 runs 17" rims as standard, factory options include 18" and 19" with shorter sidewalls stiffening the ride, and if used off road more tyre/rim damage, the 19"s have a reputation for eating (abrasive wear) the rim as they trap grit between the tyre and rim. And still not low enough for some, as 21", 22" and 23" aftermarket rims are being fitted by some, the ride is shocking, as even with air suspension every bump is felt... I'll stick with the 17"s!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    So high performance cars use low profile rubber because it improves handling. So the Honda Civic and VW crowd saw this and took it to hyperbolic extremes. If low profile is good for performance then no profile must be better! The spiritual successor to this douchbaggery is "stancing" vehicles. High performance cars run a lot of camber because it's better for hard cornering. So the Honda Civic and VW crowd saw this and said, if 2 or 3 degrees is good, then 45 degrees must be better!

Refurbishing brake rotors - GIF-nissan-350z.jpg

If this is your car, you and everyone that looks like you should be sterilized.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Oh the memories, I am laughing so hard it is difficult to type.

I live and taught in a rural/suburban district with some few gravel, tar and chip roads and a few rail crossings. Just before I retired I had a student (tough guy, high school junior) come into my classroom (the school shop) one morning sobbing, crying real tears. It actually scared me a bit I thought something tragic had happened. After I got him calmed down, I got the story. Recently had been bragging about the new tires and wheels (big wheels, rubber band type tires) he got for his Civic.

On this morning, he hit the railroad crossing too fast and blew out all 4 tires. Then drove the rest of the way to school. Of course as soon he hit the rails all four tries and wheels were ruined anyway. So the extra miles he put on only caused further damage to the fender as the tires began to shred.

I did feel bad for the kid, but GEEZ..... How deep does stupid go???

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Oh the memories, I am laughing so hard it is difficult to type.

How deep does stupid go???
    Sadly very deep, however relatively speaking probably no deeper than it did back in the days gone by. There was a guy who lived not far from me in the late 70's decided his ford pinto would look cool with a pair of 44 gumbo mudders on the rear. First he tried 20 inch long straps for spring shackles but that didn't work because he couldn't get enough clearance so he hacked out the fenders made it 2 blocks before twisting the drive shaft and breaking an axle. So he found a 9" rear end and bolted it under the springs on 8" tall blocks shortened up the shackle straps had a drive shaft made that had the Pontiac double U joints in the rear. Actually made it to the mud bog track 20 miles away but only made it about 20 feet into the bog before the front end plowed into the bottom. Said it drove stupid crazy on the highway and any speed above 40 MPH it was completely uncontrollable "I wonder Why" LOL. decided to put a pair of 32" tall tire on the front but no amount of stretching and tweaking was going to allow tires that big under the front end. SO, he comes up with a Bronco frame installs the 44's all the way around on it powers it with a 390 and a C6, grafts the pinto body to the Bronco frame does the body work so it doesn't look quite as stupid. It really did turn out to be a decent mud bogger, but he drove it as his daily driver every day even though it handled like crap, and about once a week got a ticket when driving at night because his headlights and taillights were too far above the ground. Wound up and scrapped it when it came time to get the state inspection since it wouldn't pass the safety. I guess he never figured out all he had to do was trailer it to the bogs on the weekends.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information