Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Relief Wood Carving Platforms

Thanks

Talking Relief Wood Carving Platforms

I am very interested in making a wood carving platform for doing relief style carving on flat boards.
    Want a platform that can be secured easily to take the downward pressure of this type of carving.
    I am just starting out in this exciting field. Look forward learning more and your ideas!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,003 Times in 11,393 Posts
    Hi Farillo - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Interesting question; I'm going to ask and see if our wood guys have an answer for you.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Hi Farillo,
    Yes, I have done one, I use it exactly for that matter, in particular for carving musical instrument plates ,
    here it is :
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/c...platform-12404

Hope this will help
    Christophe
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

Thanks

Relief Carving Work Table

Quote Originally Posted by Farillo View Post
    I am very interested in making a wood carving platform for doing relief style carving on flat boards.
    Want a platform that can be secured easily to take the downward pressure of this type of carving.
    I am just starting out in this exciting field. Look forward learning more and your ideas!
    A sturdy workbench the heavier the better. Unless you plan on very large relief carvings,i.e. several square feet, a homemade work table or a used workbench should suffice. Bench dogs, and hold downs are easily obtained through any good carving supply catalog. These items will secure your flat work and a heavy support/table/workbench will stay steady as you carve even when using a mallet. Solid core doors come to mind when considering a sturdy surface. You should be able to drill holes for bench dogs if making your own support platform. On smaller pieces you may want some kind of lockable turntable, the work being fastened to it. If you have a preferred size you want to work, customize your support accordingly. Before you spend any money, look at what you are considering buying and ask your self: Can I make this myself? many times the answer will be yes.

Thanks

Poppa Joe's Tools
    Dear Farillo, First and foremost you will need a sturdy workbench or suface to work on. When first started carving I used to clamp my projects on an old wooden picnic table. However, an inexpensive workbench will do providing it is sturdy and doesnt move. Drill some 3/4" holes and make some bench dogs from some round dowl stock from a local home improvement store in the lumber section. Set the bench dogs on your bench so you can butt your wood against it. It will hold your work from moving forward when applying pressure to your gouges. Good luck. Will like to see your work when you are done.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information