Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Swager DIY Tool

Thanks

Swager DIY Tool

Trying to build a swaging tool from a Harbor Freight 24" bolt cutter. Need to know the dimensions for the swager opening to crimp 1/8" to 1/4" wire rope cable ferrules. Any information would be appreciated. Larry

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,454 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Sounds like a good idea, but I seriously doubt if a HF bolt cutter is strong enough to do that swagging. I bought a set to cut 3/8" rebar. The handles are so springy, it is difficult to get enough force to cut. After struggling to get through 3 or 4 cuts, the blades had big gouges and would no longer cut. I realize you are probably going to make your own swagging dies. Just saying the basic tool itself is not really very strong. Of course there is the warranty, they took them back with no problem.

Be sure to save your receipt!!!!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Swager DIY Tool

Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Sounds like a good idea, but I seriously doubt if a HF bolt cutter is strong enough to do that swagging. I bought a set to cut 3/8" rebar. The handles are so springy, it is difficult to get enough force to cut. After struggling to get through 3 or 4 cuts, the blades had big gouges and would no longer cut. I realize you are probably going to make your own swagging dies. Just saying the basic tool itself is not really very strong. Of course there is the warranty, they took them back with no problem.

Be sure to save your receipt!!!!
    Thanks for the input, hemmjo. Perhaps swager is not the best name for it, and maybe just "crimper" would be more appropriate. What I'd like to try to make is something like the one Home Depot sells for crimping small aluminum ferrules for 1/8" or so wire rope(nothing heavy duty). Following is a picture of one. I'd just like to know what the hole diameters are here so I can cut or grind an opening that size into the jaws. If this is a 14" swager, the jaws are probably around 3" long, and it seems like the biggest hole is around 1/2 inch. And, you're certainly right about cutting rebar with these. I have both a 24" and a 48" bolt cutter and even with the 48" it's not a piece of cake. You still have to press hard.
    Swager DIY Tool-swagerferrules12.jpg

Thanks

This might help.

Quote Originally Posted by larryaguir View Post
    Thanks for the input, hemmjo. Perhaps swager is not the best name for it, and maybe just "crimper" would be more appropriate. What I'd like to try to make is something like the one Home Depot sells for crimping small aluminum ferrules for 1/8" or so wire rope(nothing heavy duty). Following is a picture of one. I'd just like to know what the hole diameters are here so I can cut or grind an opening that size into the jaws. If this is a 14" swager, the jaws are probably around 3" long, and it seems like the biggest hole is around 1/2 inch. And, you're certainly right about cutting rebar with these. I have both a 24" and a 48" bolt cutter and even with the 48" it's not a piece of cake. You still have to press hard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SwagerFerrules12.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	18948
    http://www.usrigging.com/pdfs/Swage-Inst.pdf

Thanks
    Trying to build a swaging tool from a Harbor Freight 24" bolt cutter. Need to know the dimensions for the swager opening to crimp 1/8" to 1/4" wire rope cable ferrules. Any information would be appreciated. Larry
    It depends if you want to make a fixture mounted on the bench top or portable, bench top would be able to be built of a more powerful style from heavy gauge steel. With that in mind, the principle of the conventional 'Hold down clamp' which when applied, will multiply up to possibly 10 times the amount of pressure required to actuate the lever, and as long as you harden your dies, would be a fast and repetitive action and easy to operate. Just my thoughts on this problem.

Thanks
    Swager DIY Tool-20170727_114848_resized.jpgSwager DIY Tool-20170727_114824_resized.jpg
    Hi larryaguir. I have attached pics of my swaging tool which might help. The holes are numbered 1,2 & 3 and are nominally 4,6 & 8 mm diameter respectively. I hope this is of use to you.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,794 Times in 4,212 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Try this
    click on image to make larger then save larger image to your computer
    Swager DIY Tool-copper-aluminum-sleve-swaging.jpg
    Last edited by Frank S; Jul 27, 2017 at 01:46 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanks for the pictures, Glueman2. I think with your information I can make the tool I need, after looking at the pictures you sent. Frank S also sent me some finished dimensions for the swaged ferrules so I can check my work and see if I made the tool to the right specifications.

Thanks
    Frank S, thanks for the chart with the finished dimensions for the swaged ends using copper and aluminum ferrules. Glueman2 sent me pics of the tool, and with your chart I can check finished ferrule dimensions and fine tune if needed.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Converting a bolt cutter to a crimping tool, sure, why not. Try to copy the dimensions of an existing crimper. When cutting the crimping notches, grind them, do not use a torch or plasma. Grind slowly, you want to keep the heat out of the jaws. No more than 400 or 500 degrees F. 400 the metal can turn a light yellow color. Put a nice radius on all your crimping edges, you don't want to cut the aluminum, you want to squish it. If the handles bend reinforce them before you turn them into a banana. You should have plenty of power to crush hollow soft aluminum of 1/2 inch? diameter. It's great fun to modify an existing tool, cheaper, too.

Thread Information