Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 500+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Replacing capacitors in old TIG welder, and adding cooling unit.

  1. #11
    Jerry4Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Good morning chy-farm, yes I am a Veteran, however I don't tend to advertise it, that happened to be the only resent photo I had at the time I joined. I don't repair a lot of electronics especially newer stuff, I do have an older welder (abt. 30 yr old) that I am hoping your article will help me to get operating once again. When I finally get the time to check it out.
    Have a great day.
    Jerry

    500 Tool Plans

  2. #12
    Supporting Member chy_farm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 194 Times in 56 Posts

    chy_farm's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry4Truth View Post
    Good morning chy-farm, yes I am a Veteran, however I don't tend to advertise it, that happened to be the only resent photo I had at the time I joined. I don't repair a lot of electronics especially newer stuff, I do have an older welder (abt. 30 yr old) that I am hoping your article will help me to get operating once again. When I finally get the time to check it out.
    Have a great day.
    Jerry
    Good afternoon Jerry, thank you for your replay. Hope you can give your old and cute welder a good care. Have a great day too!
    Chy

    Homemade Tools eBooks

  3. #13
    PJs
    PJs is offline
    Supporting Member PJs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks
    8,322
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 715 Posts

    PJs's Tools
    Really nice write up with good pictures Chy! I like the way you were thorough in your inspections and found the burnt board and corrosion under the caps. The other thing I look for is cold solder joints, especially a board that has been hot. I tend to touch them up when replacing parts. Nice use of Ceramic R's and the heat sink will help draw the heat away especially with the new fan.

    Terrific, Thanks for sharing this!

    PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

  4. #14
    Supporting Member blkadder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    155
    Thanks
    443
    Thanked 66 Times in 34 Posts
    Great job on getting the welder up and running. I have had some success getting old electronics working again by replacing old capacitors and resistors. I love how you have photo documented what you have done, since this will give someone a good idea on how to fix their welder.
    Ron

    ...Semper Fidelis...

  5. #15
    Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    DIYer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,073
    Thanks
    700
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 1,525 Posts


    Thanks chy_farm! We've added your Welder Cooling Modification to our Electrical category,
    as well as to your builder page: chy_farm's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:




  6. #16
    Supporting Member chy_farm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 194 Times in 56 Posts

    chy_farm's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Really nice write up with good pictures Chy! I like the way you were thorough in your inspections and found the burnt board and corrosion under the caps. The other thing I look for is cold solder joints, especially a board that has been hot. I tend to touch them up when replacing parts. Nice use of Ceramic R's and the heat sink will help draw the heat away especially with the new fan.
    Terrific, Thanks for sharing this! PJ
    Good evening PJs, your nice words are too much for me, but thank you very much. I may be only a small student who keep learning electric things, will look forward to seeing and learning more from here and yours.
    Chy

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to chy_farm For This Useful Post:

    PJs (Apr 16, 2018)

  8. #17
    Supporting Member chy_farm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 194 Times in 56 Posts

    chy_farm's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by blkadder View Post
    Great job on getting the welder up and running. I have had some success getting old electronics working again by replacing old capacitors and resistors. I love how you have photo documented what you have done, since this will give someone a good idea on how to fix their welder.
    Good evening Blkadder, thank you very much for nice words. Glad you like this post and hope this will be of some help to the members and guests here.
    Chy

  9. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    vaughn45's Tools

    Following Your Progress

    Quote Originally Posted by chy_farm View Post
    Hello Jerry4Truth, and good afternoon Sir. I love to see your avatar image here! Is this telling that you are one of the veterans? If so, I always pay greatest respects to them.
    Thank you for your comment on this capacitor issues, but I really do not hope you got troubled with that sort of capacitor things in any machines there, lol.
    Chy
    I am following your progress i have a MiG welder which was given to me and I welds (*&*^%$&(&*) like that. Was supposed to be a good welder. I am not a good welder but a mud dobber type. With this welder a mud dobber would be a work of art. I was wonder if if I could contact you with emails and maybe resolve my situation.
    Thank you for your Time
    Butch

  10. #19
    Supporting Member VinnieL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    281
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 112 Times in 85 Posts
    If you have access to one, an ESR Meter will better help diagnose faulty capacitors without having to remove them from the circuit.

  11. #20
    Supporting Member chy_farm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 194 Times in 56 Posts

    chy_farm's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnieL View Post
    If you have access to one, an ESR Meter will better help diagnose faulty capacitors without having to remove them from the circuit.
    Thanks, this is informative.
    I have learned some about this method while ago, and tried this device myself;
    Replacing capacitors in old TIG welder, and adding cooling unit.-nf_block_zm2371.jpg

    In case the capacitor got too bad this works good, but if it has very small symptom this does not work right.
    A very small sign of gas-leakage under a capacitor may be too subtle for the meter to show something too bad.
    This means if you do this sort of job on a preventive measure, you d better try remove one to know what. IMHO.
    Thank you again.



    Tube Bender Build Guide

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •