Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Reporter almost hit by dud bomb - GIF

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jan 10, 2020), baja (Jan 10, 2020), high-side (Jan 11, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Jan 10, 2020), Seedtick (Jan 9, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A real intelligent reporter wandering around in an open field which from the looks of him putting a finger in his ear he is trying to hear what is being said in his ear bud while the field is a combat zone with either a fire fight going on in the distance possibly a mortor or an artilery barrage as well, then a dud dropped from a plane probably targeting one of the buildings in the background misses target and lands within a few dozen feet of him. The thing is it may have only failed to detonate due to falling into the soft ground. These types of dumb bombs can still detonate later maybe seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months or even years later when disturbed.
    He is so engrossed in his conversation he hardly even reacts to the thud it must have made upon striking the ground.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    At 0:08 it appears as 2 items. That can be caused by the timing of the camera shutter in a still picture. Not sure if the motion camera would do the same thing. However, if it is 1 or 2 bombs they are very small.

Looks like 1 or more BDU33 practice bombs. I think they weigh about 25 or 30 pounds max, maybe even less than that. I haven't picked one up in 45 years. They don't explode. Although they sometimes have a marker charge in the tail that makes a puff of smoke when the bomb hits the ground so that "spotter"guys on the bombing range will see where it landed and determine its distance from the target etc. If the ground had been rained on recently the bomb often doesn't give a puff of smoke because the bomb just slips into the mud without setting off the marker charge.

If it hit you it could kill you since it is probably traveling about 100+ mph.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by greyhoundollie; Jan 15, 2020 at 10:42 PM.

Thread Information