Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Retired engineer in Colorado

Supporting Member
    Thanks

bbutcher85's Tools

Retired engineer in Colorado

Hi all,
    I am a retired electrical engineer with years of experience using shop tools, mills, lathes, etc. I live near Longmont Colorado, and own a Bridgeport 9 X 42 knee mill that I converted to 3 axis CNC. I did upgrade to ballscrews, and am using servo motors to drive all three axes. My controller is a Galil DMC-1850 interfaced to Mach3 on a Windows 2000 PC. Yes the PC is old and antique, but it has an ISA slot that I need for the Galil card. The BIOS on the computer is so old it will not allow me to upgrade to even Windows XP! I also have an old Atlas 10 lathe with a 36 inch bed, as well as other common shop tools, welders, and plasma cutter.
    I am in the process of building a CNC lathe right now. I plan to start with an Atlas 10/12 bed 42 inch total length since I happen to have one on hand. I plan to build my own spindle with a 1.5 inch through hole so I can use 5C collets. I plan to mount the spindle 6 inches above the bed for a 12 inch diameter capacity. My spindle will use a D4 Camlock nose and Timken bearings to provide good thrust capability. I am planning to use Rulon lined ways for low friction and ease of rebuild if ever needed. For my cross slide I plan to use linear slides, probably Rulon lined as well. Since this will be CNC I will not require a compound. I plan to use a 1 HP DC motor to drive the spindle. I plan to use Mach 3 to drive the ballscrews, but have not decided between stepper motors and servo motors just yet.
    I plan to look around at what others have done and get more ideas before I cut metal.

Bob

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,033 Times in 11,404 Posts
    Hi Bob - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Sounds like you are having fun with that build! Any other CNC builds you have seen on this site that gave you ideas?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Hi Bob,

Welcome!

Sounds like some impressive work in modifying the Bridgeport to CNC. We've got quite a few guys around here working at CNC in various ways who'd be interested in peering over your shoulder, so to speak. Post some pics if you have them.

Ken

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,657 Posts
    Welcome to the forums, Bob! You've a pretty cool machine to use your skills on, I see. Looking forward to your posts.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information