Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reverse high beams - comic

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,806 Times in 9,914 Posts

Reverse high beams - comic

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Dec 23, 2018), PJs (Dec 22, 2018), ranald (Dec 28, 2018), Seedtick (Dec 20, 2018), that_other_guy (Dec 3, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    There have been times when I have experienced chronic tailgaters that I had wished for just such a set up.
    I will never understand why some drivers insist on driving right up against your bumper with their high beams on. I have tried slowing down or flashing my brake lights even moving to the right to try and get them to go around . when they finally do they often show their IQ quite prominently by extending their middle finger.Those are the times when A turret mounted RPG would be nice to have.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Altair (Dec 21, 2018), byates (Apr 7, 2020), Drew1966 (Dec 20, 2018), KustomsbyKent (Dec 20, 2018), PJs (Dec 22, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Mar 22, 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    There have been times when I have experienced chronic tailgaters that I had wished for just such a set up.
    I will never understand why some drivers insist on driving right up against your bumper with their high beams on. I have tried slowing down or flashing my brake lights even moving to the right to try and get them to go around . when they finally do they often show their IQ quite prominently by extending their middle finger.Those are the times when A turret mounted RPG would be nice to have.
    Yep. Absolutely.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1966 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 22, 2018)

Thanks
    Totally agreed.
    Eric

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    I actually have rear mounted lights that are incredibly bright *, I have to resist the temptation to use them even for the worst tailgaters, I am certain it would cause them to lose control as at a close distance they are quite blinding, especially if you were not expecting it.

*As standard our car has a single reversing light, very poor and only on one side. Our parking space at home does not have any street lighting and as such winter parking is difficult. I fitted lights to the rear bumper controlled by a dash switch, they are as bright as headlights and make parking easy and safe. A £10 modification I wish I had done years before.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rorschach For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Dec 3, 2022)

Thanks

Canobi's Tools
    I'm with Frank S on every level, I just don't understand the mentality of some drivers.
    It's not the destination but the journey you take to get there that matters.

Thanks

Steved53's Tools
    A friend had some spotlights fitted to the rear of his rally car ( to help reversing out of the bushes when he got it wrong on a night rally). He did use them occasionaly on tailgaters.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    My method is simply to gently slow down until they are forced to overtake or if a pull in place shows up I will pull in and let them pass.

I don't brake check nor use my reverse lights, however dangerous they may be, I do not want to be the cause of an accident or death, they can do that for themselves.

It's worth noting that in most countries you will be held liable for an accident if you brake check or similar and with dash cams becoming more popular you are likely to be caught. Luckily I rarely encounter tailgaters very often.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Fortunately for me I live out in the country and normally only encounter folks who live here as well it is rare that there will be someone coming up behind me but hwen they do most will drive about 100 to 150 yards behind when one eases up closer I know they want to go around if there is not a double line or a yellow line on our side of the lane I pull over to the shoulder as much as possible to signal to them that it is safe to go around since I am usually driving a few miles under the posted limit anyway. Others out her mostly do the same. But if I'm driving and there is a double line they can just wait I'll speed up to the posted but that is as much as I'm going to do. until I see that it is safe for them to overtake me if they don't like it then too bad but once they pull out I'm going to get as far to the right as possible and slow way down so they won't be on the wrong side of the road any longer that necessary.
    The problem is when nearer the cities that I encounter those who seem to think that they are NASCAR drivers and try to draft off of the vehicle in front there is no cure for them not even a double tap to flash the brake lights do much to persuade them to back off a little. For those if the circumstances in front of me cause me to need to brake then they can just eat my big steel rear bumper
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    My pu I used for everything had very bright floodlights facing backwards for my mx days. I used them for jerks that would tailgate with highs on. It worked brilliantly. Same for the lights on the front. They would melt the car in front of me. Otherwise, if your just tailgating, no brights, I just ignored them.

Thread Information