Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Phase Converter (Create 3-phase power from a single phase source)

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike McMahon Australia View Post
    Tightwad, pay the $12.50 and don't be miserable. Remember Jon has done the work.
    Yeah. NHEngineer did some of the work too.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Paul View Post
    No i am not a tight wad i build mine several years ago. If i can help some one with a home shop, i gladly help them all i can that's how us Germans are.
    Nun, G. Paul, ich interessiere mich für Ihre Pläne. Wie erhalte ich einen Satz meines Führers?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post

Whilst I'm online, and posting, I have a question for David, if you would be so kind as to provide the info.
    Given that modern generators often use "capacitor control" (rather than an AVR) and that it has been shown that an ordinary synchronous motor will generate provided that it is driven slightly faster than the plate speed and a suitable capacitor is included in the circuit: is it possible to achieve the same result with a 3 phase motor, and what would the circuit schematic look like ( bearing in mind our Assie grid configuration, the motor would be wired star or delta with single windings on each leg at 240 volts)?

Many thanks for your anticipated indulgence,

Rob.
    Hey Rob,

I've seen somewhere a circuit diagram which seems to be similar to what you have described.... I think. I'll need some translation from Aussi into American English though before I search my files. What is term "the plate speed" ? I once got into a debate with a gentleman from GB who insisted that he used a 'spanner' in what I thought was a totally improper application. Turns out, his 'Spanner' and my spanner were completely different animals.

Rotary Phase Converter (Create 3-phase power from a single phase source)-myspanner.jpg My spanner - No capital 'S'

Rotary Phase Converter (Create 3-phase power from a single phase source)-hisspanner.jpg His Spanner

I'd recommend you not wait up for a quick answer though. I have about 15,000 circuit diagram files all sorted by number, not application.

Regards,
    DSLee

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Hi David,
    Thanks for the prompt reply,and with it my apologies for the presumption in terminology. In Australia the plate speed of a motor is the speed designated on the identification plate on the side of the motor ( the plate that nominates voltage, amps, phase, temp range, frame spec, etc), so plate speed for most motors, unless they were "specials" would be, at 50 cycles, 960 (six pole) 1440 (four pole), 2800 (two pole).

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Rob.

in Australia

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Ich habe die Plane in einer flash drive, ich bin am suchen. Bis jetzt habe ich die noch nicht gefunden. Ich werde sie schicken Frei
    du dachste das ich deutch can du warst richtig. Ich schreibe nicht sehr viel

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Paul View Post

Ich habe die Plane in einer flash drive, ich bin am suchen. Bis jetzt habe ich die noch nicht gefunden. Ich werde sie schicken Frei
    du dachste das ich deutch can du warst richtig. Ich schreibe nicht sehr vie

(I have the plan in a flash drive, I'm looking fori it. Until now I have not found it. I will send them free)

l
    OK mein Freund, ich glaube, Sie schreiben, um mir zu sagen, dass Sie schicken mir die Pläne, wenn Sie sie auf Ihrem USB-Stick finden können. Bitte sagen Sie mir, wenn Sie meine E-Mail-Adresse benötigen.

(OK my friend, I think you write to tell me that you can send me the plans when you can find them on your thumb drive. Please tell me if you need my e-mail address.)

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post

Hi David,
    Thanks for the prompt reply,and with it my apologies for the presumption in terminology. In Australia the plate speed of a motor is the speed designated on the identification plate on the side of the motor ( the plate that nominates voltage, amps, phase, temp range, frame spec, etc), so plate speed for most motors, unless they were "specials" would be, at 50 cycles, 960 (six pole) 1440 (four pole), 2800 (two pole).

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Rob.
    in Australia
    Yup, after I sent the message I figured you were talking about what we call "nameplate" here in the northwest quadrant of mother earth. It is now 6:00PM and I have eye surgery on the morrow so it may be a bit before I can begin my search. I'm wondering if I maybe should just do a Google and save myself a bit of effort. Well, we'll see what shakes out in a few days.

Thanks
    Sorry, actually I meant NH did the work. But as both Jon & NH did combine their efforts, accolades should go to both parties.

It's a pity it wont work in Australia.

Mike

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Much as I'd love to take credit, the plans were already more or less complete when I got them. We did add a fancy cover, and touched up some syntax and spacing stuff.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Alright G.Paul, I put a note in my system to clean this thread up at the end of the week. We'd love to see your plans; post 'em if you got 'em. If not, I'm going to move some of these posts out to a separate thread; you can always post plans, anytime, for any tool, whenever you get them.

Thread Information