Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rotary train car coal dumping - GIF and video

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 28, 2018), kboy0076 (May 21, 2021), PJs (Dec 28, 2018), Seedtick (Dec 27, 2018), will52100 (Dec 27, 2018)

Thanks
    I'm a retired U.P. engineer, used to run coal trains to the power plant in Hermiston Ore. To catch a coal train to the plant was CAKE! Sit on you butt while the plant crew did all the work while the train crew slept and ate nice meals provided by the power company. Always a favorite job to catch. No so much on the road jobs, heavy, dirty, and always screwed by the dispatchers. If you look closely you'll notice that the car "box" is rotated off the carriage and the frame, trucks, air hoses, couplers, etc all remain untouched.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by DIRTYJOHN; Dec 31, 2018 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    That triple car rotisserie dump machine is impressive
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 617 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Cool! I saw one of these in Prince Rupert, British Columbia. It grabbed two cars at a time and flipped them. I was amazed.

Slightly off topic but somewhat related. The rail dumper was 99.9% automated, but the union pushed to have an operator. So there was an operator booth over the dumper, and he had a control panel with a big green button. The train cars moved into position, everything lined up, whatever else that had to happen, all completely automated. Then the dumper would wait for the operator to press THE BIG GREEN BUTTON to do the flip. Now here's the really great part. The gentleman, a rather large gentleman, who sat in the operator's booth didn't want to lean forward to press the button. When he was poured into his chair in the morning he wanted to stay there and not exert and further effort. So he had a drumstick. A literal wooden drumstick that you would use on a set of drums. He would use said drumstick to jab at the BIG GREEN BUTTON without having to actually move. It was glorious.

Thanks

bimmer1980's Tools
    Do the train cars stay connected together? Does it rotate about the hitch point?

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 617 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer1980 View Post
    Do the train cars stay connected together? Does it rotate about the hitch point?
    Yes! It's so cool. I never would have believed it until I watched it happen in person.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I'm still puzzled about what happens at the couplers that link the car-to-be-tipped with its adjacent, non-tipping car(s). In the first gif, I don't see any car movement that might suggest the cars are being un-coupled prior to tipping.

Are the couplers on these cars mounted such that they can rotate about a horizontal axis to allow the tipping without uncoupling?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I'm still puzzled about what happens at the couplers that link the car-to-be-tipped with its adjacent, non-tipping car(s). In the first gif, I don't see any car movement that might suggest the cars are being un-coupled prior to tipping.

Are the couplers on these cars mounted such that they can rotate about a horizontal axis to allow the tipping without uncoupling?
    I believe the coupler is on a captive yoke shaft that allows it to spin. There are some pics in a google search for "coal dumping train coupling" Here is a link to a model railroad exact replica of an FMC4000. ExactRail HO scale FMC 4000 rotary-dump coal gondola | ModelRailroader.com

The pics not great but the article talks about magnetic coupler and proper height.

One of our techs back in the day took some pictures of the Coal Mountains and the trains feeding from the coal mountains to an eastern coal fired plant. Not a long run...maybe a mile max. Coal was brought in from farther away. The heaps dwarfed the loaders. @¿@
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

ranald (Dec 30, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    Cool! I saw one of these in Prince Rupert, British Columbia. It grabbed two cars at a time and flipped them. I was amazed.

Slightly off topic but somewhat related. The rail dumper was 99.9% automated, but the union pushed to have an operator. So there was an operator booth over the dumper, and he had a control panel with a big green button. The train cars moved into position, everything lined up, whatever else that had to happen, all completely automated. Then the dumper would wait for the operator to press THE BIG GREEN BUTTON to do the flip. Now here's the really great part. The gentleman, a rather large gentleman, who sat in the operator's booth didn't want to lean forward to press the button. When he was poured into his chair in the morning he wanted to stay there and not exert and further effort. So he had a drumstick. A literal wooden drumstick that you would use on a set of drums. He would use said drumstick to jab at the BIG GREEN BUTTON without having to actually move. It was glorious.
    In Australia, a few decades ago, we had a campaigh to get the "Norm" off his couch and do exercise (to avoid further obesity & get the folk healthier). We fixed that : we found Xbox controllers which have more buttons. That guy would be all at sea with one.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Dec 31, 2018)

Thread Information