Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rotary train car coal dumping - GIF and video

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Unless those floor grates are there to serve as a sieve to trap over-large pieces, they seem to be more of an impediment than an aid. Why not remove them and put a guard rail around the resulting openings to protect the workers?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 30, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Good point Marv, probably has to do with the conveyor below and crushers further downstream. That one big hunk he pulled out would probably heat a small house for a week, but less than a watt probably in conversion to electricity.

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    I believe the coupler is on a captive yoke shaft that allows it to spin. There are some pics in a google search for "coal dumping train coupling" Here is a link to a model railroad exact replica of an FMC4000. ExactRail HO scale FMC 4000 rotary-dump coal gondola | ModelRailroader.com

The pics not great but the article talks about magnetic coupler and proper height.

One of our techs back in the day took some pictures of the Coal Mountains and the trains feeding from the coal mountains to an eastern coal fired plant. Not a long run...maybe a mile max. Coal was brought in from farther away. The heaps dwarfed the loaders. @¿@
    Thanks, like Marv, I was wondering about that & train breaks.
    In early 70's I visited a friend managing a mine in central Queensland & saw the coal being washed & separated by what could be described as giant sieves (one for each level of a multi story open concrete building). Really cool stuff. The coal was then trained to the coast for export. It was a major financial boost to the state government earning $5 a ton in royalities somewhat like the Beatles (in the early days) earning 3 % and making so much that they paid 19shillings & 6 pence in every pound in tax=no wonder they were offered MBE s by the Queen.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 2, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    In the developed country's there are hydraulic machines that pic up and turn the hole car over. Its much faster when 150 cars are unloaded

7. The Following User Says Thank You to G.Paul For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 2, 2019)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    I worked on constructing a power plant where they picked up the whole car and turned it over dumping it.

Ralph

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralphxyz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 6, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Helix dumper from Kiruna Wagon.

The discharge process is carried out at a smooth, even pace and is powered by the locomotive’s forward motion – the unloading station has no moving or motorised parts and requires no additional power supply.
    1:42 video:

More: HD - Helix Dumper - Kiruna Wagon Kiruna Wagon

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 22, 2019), Harvey Melvin Richards (Jan 26, 2019), KustomsbyKent (Jan 31, 2019), oldcaptainrusty (Jan 21, 2019), oldpastit (Jan 27, 2019), PJs (Jan 22, 2019), ranald (Jan 21, 2019), rlm98253 (Jan 21, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 21, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Great stuff: already been washed & graded by the looks.

Thanks

Hemi's Tools
    That rotary dumper that the cars literally rotate by means of a "track-system" that flips the dump cars bed up and then brings it back down without any "dumper animation" blows my mind that as they "dump" theres not a speck of dust coming off whats being dumped into the grates...... Does anyone know what the commodity is as it doesn't look like anything coal or aggregate that I've seen dumped before....... ?

The USA Rotary dumpers are AWESOME. as the cars do in fact remain coupled, and the couplers on said "Rotary Dump Car ONLY" have a swivel jointed coupler..... The shank of the coupler is square, and as it goes out from under the car, it has a swivel pivot, that has a HUGE bolt that passes through the coupler head, into the shank, that allows only the HEAD and knuckle, of the coupler swivel. Last I seen one, it sure needed some grease tho..... Rusty WOW. and I bet it did not allow a smooth "swivel" effect when done, as I'm sure it had to have some sort of "buck" as the one car sat on its wheels on the rail, and the swiveling car was flipped......

NOW the real trick is to figure out HOW to make that work in HO Scale (1/87th scale) for my rotary dump coal cars, by means of a WORKING Walthers, rotary dumper that will be with my coal powered power plant!!!!! There's a task for the guys over at Kadee!!!!!! (The model railroaders here will know what I'm referring too here!!!!!)

Great stuff guys! ALWAYS good to bring me back t my roots!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 22, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
    Does anyone know what the commodity is as it doesn't look like anything coal or aggregate that I've seen dumped before....... ?
    No idea, but it looks like these dumpers specialize in unusually sticky materials:

The Helix Dumper is built for continuous, rolling discharge and is the wagon of choice for small fractions and tough-flowing commodities that are not suitable for bottom discharge. Currently, there is no technology that can match the productivity of the Helix Dumper when it comes to unloading heavy fine-grained bulk goods at a high discharge rate. The Helix Dumper unloads even the stickiest bulk materials at rates up to 25,000 tonnes per hour.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 22, 2019)

Thanks
    stinkey or stickey?either way it sure cuts tyme and labor ,and oop's... spill on lane 3~7 and 9~14....gonna be a long lunch...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information