Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Route 66 musical road rumble strip - video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts

Route 66 musical road rumble strip - video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Clockguy (Jan 17, 2019), high-side (Jan 16, 2019), neilbourjaily (Jan 16, 2019), oldcaptainrusty (Jan 17, 2019), PJs (Jan 18, 2019), ranald (Jan 17, 2019), rlm98253 (Jan 16, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 16, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I wonder who the engineer was who figured out the exact spacing to grind the strips in the pavement .
    Some rough textured roadway seem to play oh hell over and over again at certain speeds.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Has the look of New Mexico. I'd sure like to know the milepost on that one.

Thanks

Shnick's Tools
    It's on rte 66 (highway 333) between Albuquerque and Tijeras NM. Rode on it last year. Strip is about 14" wide and easy to veer off.
    Last edited by Shnick; Jan 17, 2019 at 07:38 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shnick For This Useful Post:

neilbourjaily (Jan 17, 2019), PJs (Jan 18, 2019)

Thanks
    Jon, REALLY??? Where do you find these things?? It is this type of "is he kidding or is he serious" posts that drag me back each day to see what you and others have dredged up for the day!

But seriously, I took my chocolate lab for a run, on an area of the Eglin AFB here in Florida, one afternoon and it happened that they had just resurfaced the 2 lane road feeding by this very large field used by the USAF for training of all sorts. This field is 2 miles long and a mile deep off of the road and is used for everything from parachute training to night ops training to close air to ground combat support with old tanks and vehicles setting at the northern end of the field. I was a half mile off the road and was enjoying the warmth of the afternoon when I hear this low growling RRRRRRRRMPH sound coming from behind me! I know that most of the readers here have heard this same exact sound on videos showing the uses for the A-10 Warthog in close air support drills and actual combat videos. That GAU 8 in the A-10's nose makes an unmistakable sound which strikes fear in the hearts of many enemy foot soldiers, [It's not called the "Equalizer" without reason].

I finally learned that this awesome sound that startled the bejeepers out of me since I am running my dog on a test firing range, among other uses, and my old beat up "woods" pickup could have easily been mistaken for a likely "target" for any pilot who was directed my way, was nothing more than the rumble strips placed on the center lines to warn drivers of their wandering into the oncoming lane when they are playing with their phones or trying to eat a Big Mac while trying to drive!!

At a speed of probably 60 mph or better, the sound of those rumble strips was a most chilling sound for a vet to hear no matter which military era he was akin to!! And the reaction that they evoked in a drowsy or otherwise non-attentive driver was just the right spacing for a realistic burst of fire from a nearby approaching Warthog!! Needless to say, it was my immediate plan, from that day on, to check with the "Jackson Guard" before taking my dog for a run, to make sure that there were no training sessions on that site!
    Last edited by Clockguy; Jan 17, 2019 at 07:57 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clockguy For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 19, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Rather than awaken someone wandering, that one could put one to sleep or make one jump to attention loosing all road focus.

Spacing!
    Thank you Jon.

The desolate ranch country of Northeastern corner of New Mexico, USA
    Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IAMSatisfied For This Useful Post:

ranald (Jan 21, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    That is clearer: originally I thought it was like many others that alerts driver that they are crossing the white or fog line. This makes much more sence now. Tourism boom & enjoy.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The song choice was great, having to drive on a rough strip along the road at a speed 20 MPH below posted not so great. I don't even play a radio when I'm driving and I sure wouldn't want my truck tires singing to me.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The song choice was great, having to drive on a rough strip along the road at a speed 20 MPH below posted not so great. I don't even play a radio when I'm driving and I sure wouldn't want my truck tires singing to me.
    I didn't know that road is a 60 or 65mph (110 kph) zone. That would really peeve most drivers off being stuck behind someone "enjoying" the road noise: including me! ESPECIALLY ME!!!! Slow drivers cause impatience in the normally very good drivers: an accident waiting to happen. I thought it must have been near a town or high fatality/risk area.
    In Tasmania they have a 65kph (100/110 during daylight) limit at night for wildlife.

Thread Information