Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Router Plane

Thanks

Mikhandmaker's Tools

Router Plane

Inspired in one Paul's Sellers collection hand planes, I decided to make my own one as similar as possible in an easy way and using hand tools. In this video you can see the step by step.

Router Plane-router-plane-how-make.jpg Router Plane-captura-de-pantalla-2017-07-25-las-18.43.12.jpg Router Plane-34.jpg Router Plane-45.jpg
    If you like the video please Subscribe to my Youtube channel

Materials
    • Sycamore wood
    • Quality Brass sheet (1,6mm/0,06") thickness
    • Insert rivet nut (M6) 0,35"
    • Blade plough plane (10mm/0,39")
    • Sapeli dye and Wood wax
    • Thumb screw

Router Plane-fl7q3s5j5cqbpyx.medium.jpg
    For this project I used Sycamore wood since this is a resistant and hard kind of wood. I have made it, as almost always, hand tools but you can replace them by power tools.

I began cutting one side of the wood and planing it with a hand plane. Once straight with the help of a gauge I marked the rest of the parts to cut. I repeated the previous steps in order to obtain a completely square wooden block

Router Plane-fzu8dkbj5cqbr74.small.jpg

We have to mark an angle between 45 and 50º as per photographs and we cut it wihout reaching the end.

Then clean the saw-toothed marks leaving a smooth and plane surface.

Router Plane-f0ybcmwj5ig1xnd.small.jpg
    With the help of a ruler mark the centre of the piece and introduce the blade that we'll use for our router plane. In my case I used an old plough plane blade of 10mm/0,39". Mark the contour and eliminate the wood where we'll introduce the blade with a chisel.

Router Plane-fynoluzj5ig1y7l.small.jpg
    Now we have to cut a wide enough surface to see the blade path when we're working. I chose triangular shape but it can be used any other shape.

Router Plane-f3ayl4yj5ig1ysf.small.jpg
    In order to give the router plane a more ergonomic shape, I give where the thumbs will be supported rounded shape with the help of gouge cut straight

Router Plane-fako979j5ig20b9.medium.jpg
    Now we have to make the lever cap which will hold the blade. I make a template with the help of paper joining tape and later I glue it on a brass plate. Cut the piece and file down the edges until it's smooth.

Router Plane-fmvqv7uj5ig2186.small.jpg

I drill 4 holes for the fastening screws and another one of 9mm/0,35" in the middle for the rivet nut. As I don't have the necessary tool for the rivet nut, I use for it a hammer as you can see in the video.

Router Plane-fw6hs35j5ig22tb.small.jpg
    For the wooden finishing I use Sapele dye and wax.

Now the only thing left is to screw the brass plate, to introduce the blades, set the ploughing depth and to start working!!
    I would also apologise for my English as a non-native English speaker some terms are very difficult for me.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikhandmaker For This Useful Post:

Jon (Aug 9, 2017), Paul Jones (Aug 10, 2017), rossbotics (Aug 20, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Mikhandmaker! We've added your Router Plane to our Planes category,
    as well as to your builder page: Mikhandmaker's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information