Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Sand-X tracked ATV - photos

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Jun 8, 2022), nova_robotics (Jun 11, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Numerous individuals have learned that snow mobiles no matter how modified just don't fair well in the dunes for very long. they might be able to navigate many of the dunes but the sand is so abrasive the undercarriages are short lived.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Numerous individuals have learned that snow mobiles no matter how modified just don't fair well in the dunes for very long. they might be able to navigate many of the dunes but the sand is so abrasive the undercarriages are short lived.
    That's exactly what I was thinking as well. Those sliders on the tracks need snow to lubricate and cool them. Looks like this one still has the sliders too. If they want it to last in the sand, the sliders should be removed, and additional bogey wheels should be added.
    Looking closer at the pics, it does look like they have more bogey wheels than a stock sled would have, so maybe the tracks aren't riding much on the sliders. That would certainly help.

Also, I hope they beefed up the cooling system, as in stock form it utilizes a radiator by the tracks that snow is thrown on it for cooling. No snow, no cooling.

It does look like there are 2 additional radiators up on the front on both sides... if those are indeed radiators, it looks like they've made them sufficiently large!
    Last edited by KustomsbyKent; Jun 8, 2022 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by KustomsbyKent View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking as well. Those sliders on the tracks need snow to lubricate and cool them. Looks like this one still has the sliders too. If they want it to last in the sand, the sliders should be removed, and additional bogey wheels should be added.
    Looking closer at the pics, it does look like they have more bogey wheels than a stock sled would have, so maybe the tracks aren't riding much on the sliders. That would certainly help.

Also, I hope they beefed up the cooling system, as in stock form it utilizes a radiator by the tracks that snow is thrown on it for cooling. No snow, no cooling.

It does look like there are 2 additional radiators up on the front on both sides... if those are indeed radiators, it looks like they've made them sufficiently large!
    Could you tell if the steer tires are powered or not. If not the first loose dune they encounter, those tires are going to be like pushing a pair of plows and those tires on the trailer don't appear to be very high floatation either, 2 wheel drive sand buggies rely on speed to traverse loose dunes any drag from non powered wheels will slow them down and eventually cause them to dig their own grave. Can you tell if the track is normal width or a bit wider than normal? I couldn't tell
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    I don't believe the front wheels are driven. The snowmobile platform wouldn't enable that very easily, and from the pictures of it in motion on their website, there is no plume of sand coming from the front wheels whereas there is one from behind the track.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information