Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
Let's play "I'll show you mine if you show me yours."

Mine is Clark Iron and Metal, Murfreesboro TN. $0.25/lb for you to buy scrap from them and they have several sizes of new scrap you can buy too. They buy scrap as well, at prices I consider decent. Last time I was there it was $5.50 for 100 #s of shred steel/iron.
OMG. young lady, is this turning into FB?
OK!
I believe the classic answer is "You First"?.

Really though, with a bill of materials, scrap hunting tools, truck and trailer. My rule of thumb "not scrap if you can clamp it" I'm not adverse to 9hr 600mi tours, Kansas City to Murfreesboro. Literally.
Will google that location up.
The problem hereabouts not lack of manufacturing per se, it's for some reason light on fabrication variety. At one time, the center of paper use and especially printing industry of entire USA. Even the service shops dried up. Generally speaking, production work doesn't generate remnants nearly well as jobbers. Big means they order specific lengths to minimize excess.

It's also proved; problem of tremendous gravitational disturbance south of here, couple hours west of Dallas... A suspect rural property, with incredible ferrous deposits, inhabited by one of our honored forum. Attempt to locate it diverted hundreds of miles beyond. Of course I drove a late model hybrid. Too much plastic?