Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: septic tank cover with clean out and RV hookup

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools

septic tank cover with clean out and RV hookup

My friend needed a way to dump his gray and black water on his RV And I have been wanting to replace the 50 year old cover on my septic tank for the past 4 years.
    4 years ago when I replaced the soil line under my house to the septic tank instead of building a new cover then I just reused the original boards that covered it so after digging it up I was going to pour a concrete disk cover then place it over the tank but after buying the cement I thought hey the old boards had lasted for no telling how long and probably had never been replaced why not use a side of a hose reel as the cover but paint both sides with the KBS paint that I use so often the stuff is moisture cured and will never allow metal to rust it also seals wood like resin actually some body shops has used it as fiberglass resin
    For the clean out I use a12" long piece of 8"ID 9 1/2" OD plastic pipe turned down on one end to 9" to be fitted in a hole cut through the 3" thick reel side. I turned the ID of the other end out just enough to have counter bore and cut a 4 inch long piece of the pipe sectioned out about 3 1/2" and compressed it into the counter bore then did a clean up bore so the 6" to 4" PVC pipe adapter would slip in and pressed in a thread adapter for his RV drain hose His RV has one of those emulsifying turd choppers that pumps out of the black and gray tanks under pressure so that anything that goes into the septic is already turned into a slurry And yes he really can make the stuff run up hill LOL
    septic tank cover with clean out and RV hookup-20201209_145056dd.jpg

septic tank cover with clean out and RV hookup-20201210_111238dd.jpg

septic tank cover with clean out and RV hookup-20201210_121544dd.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 15, 2020), Jon (Dec 16, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Septic Tank Cover with RV Hookup to our Farm and Garden category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I recall the front end of a Ford truck fall into the septic tank at my friends home in Northern Minnesota. His dad built the tank, and put creosote 4x12s procured from the MDOT that he worked for. They were down about 3 feet, in wet clay soil. Was a surprise to all the use of wood for a cover.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information